New Old Member - Wisconsin Based

-

67Coupe

Reaction score
Hi, have been a member for some time and thought would take an opportunity to update profile. Have been involved with drag racing and performance cars for almost as long as i can remember. Have owned GM ('62 Pontiac GP), AMC ('70 390 Ram Air Javelin) and Mopar ('68 Roadrunner, '67 Barracuda) muscle cars. Currently still have the '67 Barracuda configured as bracket racer and recently completed a 7 year street rod project. Street rod is '30 model A with stroker SBC and TH400 5 speed.

For purposes of this site I'll ignore the street rod and focus on what's really important - the '67 Barracuda. It has been a bracket racer for a long time. I have owned it since '77. Previous owner had 340 and TF in it. I bought it as rolling chassis and installed 0.60 over 383 and 4 speed. Maybe not the best bracket combo but fun to drive. Over the years and many "go faster" mods, we were able to get it to pretty consistent 11:40's. About three years ago, I thought it was time to fresh up the motor. During reassembly someone (who I later identified by looking in the mirror) put piston/rod assembly #1 in hole #2 and vice versa. Needless to say this had not so good results.

Using this as an opportunity, I decided to build the 440 stored in my garage instead of building another 383. Figured the cost would be about the same. I had the block, could swap the heads and headers, etc. Well the project got a little out of hand and I ended up with a 499 stroker.

Due to a number of events (known as life happens) we have only put about a dozen runs on the new motor since install in 2017. Good news and bad. Good is the car runs 11:40s. Bad is the car runs 11:40s. I had expected 11:00s or high 10:00s.

That's my story and as time goes on I'll up date the appropriate forums with current info. Glad to be part of the community and look forward to future conversations.

-
Back