New Power Steering Gear Box

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some help guys;

1964 Barracuda 273 Auto.

Ok my original gear box was leaking all over for a while, classic industries has them so I picked one up. My problem is after I finished I followed all of the directions, filled up the resviour undid the coil wire, took the return line off the pump and put in a bucket and used the remote starter button to drain and fill the gear box over and over, I never let the pump go dry and I turned the wheel from side to side. Did this a few times wheels off the ground. All seemed well. I took the car off of Jacks and drove it. Car seems to have little to no power steering, more so turning right then left. I didn't follow one piece of instructions because I wasn't understanding what it was telling me, until now.... I read the instructions to remove the control power steering valve (Low side return) and put it on the new gear box, what it said to do which I didn't was to take the control valve apart and clean it.

Anyone ever clean a control valve? I didn't see any instructions on how it comes apart. But in the troubleshooting area it did have all my symptoms, tomorrow is another day and I will pull it off real quick and take a look. I didn't have any fluid trouble with the last one, still going to give it a try.

Gear box is a Cardone. I also think I didn't put the pit man arm in the right key way. with the steering wheel centered it pulls right, think I need to move it one key way over.

Good note I have no Leaks! Any help would be great fellas.....

The P/S requires centering. This is done by lifting the front end off the ground,starting the car and then tapping the upper control valve forward or backwards until the steering wheel stays centered. Of coarse all this is after you loosen the two bolts that hold the control valve down. Just enough so you can slide it but not so much as to cause it to leak bad.

-
Back