New project which direction turbo slant six or 360 magnum efi with od

-

lee g

Reaction score
We'll folks I have three months to lay up and decide which direction I go with my newest project car. Either 360 magnum efi and od with 8.8 explorer rear 3.73 gears or slant six with 904 (already have but doesn't run) phista j pipe turbo exhaust flange inter cooler with some upgrades 10-15# boost 2.76 geared 8 3/4. Not a track car. Will have pro touring mods, frame connectors, mini tub, springs relocated, adjustable strut rods, adjustable upper control arms, and a few other suspension upgrades. Reading all I can for the next few months before I make a desicion. Love the turbo sound and feel of the boost and I love the sound and feel of av8 with Efi and OD. Decisions desicion a.

Is the slant going to be EFI as well? If not, my vote is towards Magnum 360. A bone stock one is 300@the crank from the factory. With the slant like you described, I bet it'd take the better part of 15# to get you there. Also, if you're wanting to take corners, an o/d manual and a gentle power curve would be better than the slant (generally speaking).

Oh, and there's a better chance the 360 is going to be running/in better mechanical condition than the slant as well. I'd say at best the slant could use a hone/re-ring, head refinished, probably some bearings and gaskets too (unsure of the condition, just an assumption) where the 360 *could* have that done, you could probably get by without most of it. But then again you already have the slant...

If the slant were to be EFI, it'd make the choice a little tougher (in my eyes) of a choice. If you like the sound of a turbo, the boosted slant would probably sound good to you. I'd bet you'd get more complements with a n/a V8 rumble, but that's not much of a matter lol

In the end, its really up to you. The V8 might be easier to tune, the sudden hit of a turbo spool would be fun (a .org member has a dyno graph, 90hp@3000rpm, turbo spooled and 230@3300 lol) either will put a smile on your face!

I did a 5..2 magnum 20 years ago put in my 64 dart gt with the t518 overdrive and 3:91 gears with a posi it was the best conversion I have ever done and still have it has 38000 miles on it now when in overdrive I get 22 miles to the gal.

If you decide on a slant pm me i have sone turbo slant parts will get you where you want to go turbo slant is a great combo
Aaron

Efi and OD is a big deciding factor for me. Just recently under went a multiple level anterior cervical diskectomy, fusion, and spinal decompression. Damn drunk driver has changed my life forever. Enough of my babbling. Will be doing a lot more reading and video watching. Turbo Toad I will keep your offer in mind. Have an older brother with a Buick Regal T type. Would love to pull up beside with with an old turbo slant six to play a little but even he is trying to talk me into the 360 magnum and overdrive. Will keep you guys updated.

See, that's the nice thing about the Magnums, you can adapt the factory EFI. With a slant, the best you can do is some aftermarket stuff (MegaSquirt, FAST, etc.). Sure, some have adapted the Buick EFI, but I wouldn't trust that for anything much above stock.

I wish the concept slant with a draw thru turbo would have been produced (along with the Fast-Burn Aluminum head too...) Even though it was only a draw trough, retaining the BBD, of all things, that would have given us a leg up, along with 30+ years to better a factory setup. Then, just *maybe* we'd have half of what the turbo Buick folks have lol

See, that's the nice thing about the Magnums, you can adapt the factory EFI. With a slant, the best you can do is some aftermarket stuff (MegaSquirt, FAST, etc.). Sure, some have adapted the Buick EFI, but I wouldn't trust that for anything much above stock.

I wish the concept slant with a draw thru turbo had been been produced (along with the Fast-Burn Aluminum head too...) Even though it was only a draw through, retaining the BBD, of all things, that would have given us a leg up, along with 30+ years to better a factory setup. Then, just *maybe* we'd have half of what the turbo Buick folks have lol

But, but, but... he already HAS the slant six; with the Magnum motor, he has to buy EVERYTHING, engine, transmission, etc... and a new ring and pinion; he already has a 2.76:1 ring and pinion installed; that and the 518's OD will give him a final drive ratio of 1.90;1.... too tall. A 2.76 is perfect for the slant six motor, both drag strip and higway. Both Ryan Peterson's and Tom Wolfe's kickass slant cars run the 2.76 ratio on the drag strip and say it works better than a 4.10.

Money saved...

By the time he's through swappping V8 stuff into this chassis, I'll bet it will be more expensive than turboing the slant six he already has.. plus, a V8 is so commonplace, whereas a turbocharged slant six is unusual,,, Maybe a plus, maybe not.

Just my 2-cents (and, probably overpriced, at that...):blob:

Attachments

• js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 287
EBAY!

$15.00 w/ free shipping

It is very similar to a spectre but shorter. It works fine and it's well made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-6-W-COLD-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540ead588d

ALso they have blue and red ones somewhere. I just like the black ones because when they get dirty they still look black. I'm thinking of extending the intake of the turbo up to the rad support, and putting a through hull on it - then putting the filter behind the grill in front of the rad support.

EBAY!

$15.00 w/ free shipping

It is very similar to a spectre but shorter. It works fine and it's well made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-6-W-COLD-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540ead588d

ALso they have blue and red ones somewhere. I just like the black ones because when they get dirty they still look black. I'm thinking of extending the intake of the turbo up to the rad support, and putting a through hull on it - then putting the filter behind the grill in front of the rad support.

THANKS!!! It will be on my car, soon...:cheers:

-
Back