New purchase advice

-

Freezerman

Reaction score
OK so I found a 69 318 for $280 that I am told is bored to 060 over with 3500 miles on the rebuild. It has been sitting in a garage for 2years.
I pulled the valve cover and found it has 894 340 heads on it! It also has the timing marks on the passenger side of the cover.

Questions.
Can I use the water pump with the inlet on the passenger side still with the passenger side timing mark cover?

The engine turns over nice by hand, if I pull the pan and it looks good should I be able to run it?

Assuming the info I got on the engine is correct, has a Crane 272 cam, will the 340 heads be good or should I sell them and get different heads?(unknown pistons)

It also came with a Torker 340 manifold, I also have a Performer manifold, would either of those be good or should I find something else?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 101_0791.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 158
Crane 272 nice mild cam,work well with 340 heads. The performer manifold ,better choice here. Pull the pan,take a look. I would pull a main & rod cap to look. Don't know about the water pump/timing mark situation.

Thanks. Does anyone know if the heads will be too big with .060 over? I know it also depends on the pistons, but I don't want to pull the heads unless I have to.

.060 over gives you a 3.97 piston. I'd measure just to be sure but no, the heads are not too big for that combo.

Great. I got a stand now, so I am going to try to get the pan off this week.

-
Back