New Radiator trouble

-

Hankrebel

Reaction score
I bought a 3 row Champion radiator a while back and finally had some time today to install it.
Original radiator came out with no trouble. I noticed it didnt touch the bottom core support at all. The trans cooler lines are a PITA to remove and put back in(I ordered new ones)!!
When I try to install the new radiator, it gets 1/2 way down and its already to close too the fan clutch. I mean if I tried to go any further I could damage some of the fins on the radiator.
I didn't force it and removed it.
Looking closer, you can see the core support looks like it has seen better days. Its bent up and down at one section and warped in others. The two side rails look like they are angled inwards enough to cause the trouble.
Would a wreck cause this? Either way I'm looking for advice on getting this fixed. Probably something a body shop will have to do.
20190928_161405.jpg

I ended up going with some low profile electric fans and they work great. I don’t think you have a core support problem, I think it’s a fan problem.

I would have to disagree.
While the new radiator is 1/2 in, the driver side rail is flush with the radiator. The passenger side rail has enough gap to pass your hand through.
But yes I could remove the clutch fan and run an electric fan with shroud.

Something doesnt look right about that fan and clutch. It's like the clutch sticks out too far and the fan is too far back. Is the fan actually bolted to the back of the clutch? Post another pic showing a close up of that fan and clutch. Looks like its bolted up wrong.

A 1990 Jaguar XJ6 fan clutch Hayden #2765 that comes with a nice centering bushing is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than stock mopar one. Fits nicely with the thicker aluminum radiators.

Last edited:
Something doesnt look right about that fan and clutch. It's like the clutch sticks out too far and the fan is too far back. Is the fan actually bolted to the back of the clutch? Post another pic showing a close up of that fan and clutch.
I unbolted the fan when I was trying to get the radiator in. I wanted as much room as possible and not damage the new radiator.

Mock up pic. 67 barracuda. 18" Derale 6 blade fan with 1990 Shaguar XJ6 fan clutch and engineered cooling products aluminum radiator. About 1" space between the clutch and radiator. See how short it is in pic #2

downloadfile-201.jpg

20170528_205837.jpg

Last edited:
How much thicker is the new radiator compared to the old one???

they also make a low profile clutch fan for tight situations, but I can't remember who the manufacturer is... That may help if someone else can tell us about it...

How much thicker is the new radiator compared to the old one???

they also make a low profile clutch fan for tight situations, but I can't remember who the manufacturer is... That may help if someone else can tell us about it...
Both are 3 inches in depth.

If they are the same thickness, then the new one should fit if the old one did... Unless the new one is mounted farther back on the brackets....
Yeah I think the original radiator was pushed a little more forward and the new radiator sits more flush at the rails.
I think the easiest fix would be to go with the electric fan. Im getting a shroud as well.

Yeah I think the original radiator was pushed a little more forward and the new radiator sits more flush at the rails.
I think the easiest fix would be to go with the electric fan. Im getting a shroud as well.
I would have had a clearance issue w a single electric fan and the water pump pulley. That's why I went the route i did. You need min 3/4" clearance between pulley and whatever electric fan motor you use. Check dimensions for thickness before you buy. I have heard of people running ford contour double fans or Chevy hhr fans. Under hard acceleration the engine will move forward a bit.

Mechanical fans are more efficient than electronic fans... I prefer to go with mechanical myself...

Mechanical fans are more efficient than electronic fans... I prefer to go with mechanical myself...

Scroll down this link to see the low profile clutch fan...

Low Profile Fan Clutch

BTW how do you get this clutch fan off? I dont see any nut on the back side or any release from the water pump.
Almost like its pressed on.

Check the mounting brackets of the radiator. Lay it flat on the ground and see if they are not bent. Sometimes they get damaged in shipping. At any rate, I don’t like junk champion radiators. Take that **** back and get a Cold Case.

I’m also a believer in a mechanical clutch fan over an electric. The MP viscous fan is a good unit.

BTW how do you get this clutch fan off? I dont see any nut on the back side or any release from the water pump.
Almost like its pressed on.

There are clearance holes in the base of the clutch that you put a bolt through... You have to keep the pulley from rotating while installing and removing it...

Ditch the fan clutch and get a OEM 7 blade and spacer. Tons of space and less parts to break.

Last edited:
-
Back