New Ride In The Family

-

junior

Reaction score
My son just purchased this 1980 Road Runner. 408 Stroker with a direct drive 727... never seen one but here it is , no torqueconverter, uses a clutch, I took her for a blast and this thing is a real neck snapper. If any one know about these trannies please chime in and let us know what you know, doesn'tseem very street fiendly but launches very hard. Taking pics now will post later to day.

Here are some pics of my sons 1980 Road Runner

100_2905.jpg

100_2907.jpg

100_2906.jpg

100_2909.jpg

100_2912.jpg

100_2910.jpg

even though it was made in the 80s, and personally the 80s ruined a lot of things all the cars were taking that blocky feel, music started being more about money ect. but i like this car.

It's called a Clutchflite. It's a modified 727 attached to a manual style clutch. So basically an auto where you need to use the clutch before it can change gears. They were big in racing in the 70's and 80's.

WOW! that's friggin' neat. Is the shifter and console stock or an add on? Looks real modern.

Was the front end changed? That's not an '80 front end. maybe a '78 or '79. The grille looks like it's from an Aspen. My first car was a '76 Roadrunner. I like this car. What's the console out of? That's been changed too.

Wylde1.

1980 Roadrunner pics.

1980_plymouth_road_runner_2-568-426.jpg

1980_plymouth_road_runner_3-568-426.jpg

And, also, I dont understand the 400 inch motor with a 318 size intake........

I really don't know a lot about the car it was purchased the way it is from what I can tell it started life as a six Volare then front end changed to I think 78 Aspen, front seats and console come from a Neon.

My son has decided that the clutchflite will come out as it is not street freindly it has a reverse manual valve body and when it is down shifted it hits very hard and locks the wheels. We have a 727 with shift kit and 3500 stall that was slated to go in the Dart that we will put in it's place so if anyone is interested in the clutchflite it is for sale.

Ouch. Don't wanna downshift with a clutchflite when slowing down. Downshifting with the gas pedal to the floor is waaaaay more fun. :-D How much ya want for the clutchflite?

Wylde1.

When I was younger we called those clutch-o-matic's trannys. needed clutch to stop/start after that all automatic shifting. No clutching to upshift.

-
Back