New Rifle Incoming!

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
So the girlfriend decided that she was going to let her parent's run her life and didn't like the fact that I told her she was immature for letting them run her life. So get got all pissy and took off.

So I decided I needed to cheer myself up!

Just called Ellwoods Epps to double check my order! Now I'm awaiting this:

xlg_m10fcp10.jpg

Savage 10 FCP-SR! .308 with a 10 round detachible magazine! Comes with a 20 moa once piece scope base as well which is nice. Also the barrel is threaded for those illegal suppressors....

Set me back $1023 plus taxes and shipping :(

But I can't wait for it to get here next week! :D

I love my Savage .270. I can drive tacks at 200 yards. Yours is a bit better than mine, though. Enjoy that beautiful gun!

I love my Savage .270. I can drive tacks at 200 yards. Yours is a bit better than mine, though. Enjoy that beautiful gun!

Anything like my Savage .270? :D

dsc01910hu.jpg

dsc01912cr.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKQVw2tW4o"]Golf Ball vs .270 win, slight miss - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqVOZF21QM"]Golf Ball vs .270 win, direct hit - YouTube[/ame]

I've got more than a couple Savage rifles and sold many more over the years!

Good choice, .308 is one of my favorite calibers.

Very very sweet, I have a Savage .22-250 that absolutely dominates everything from coyotes to full grown whitetails. Savage makes a great weapon! Though I prefer my AR or AKs...had the same thing happen to me as well, decided to keep the gun and get rid of the girl though!

Savage makes one heck of a rifle and that one is no exception! Let me know how you like the accu-trigger. It seems that a lot manufacturers are jumping on the scout rifle concept after Ruger released their version.

BTW, I've got a light Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag. The first time I took it to the range it shook the scope mount loose, the next time the stock came loose. Now that I've locktited everything, I'm hoping that I can get some real accuracy results. It only weighs about 5.75 lbs. and it kicks like a pissed off mule.

Savage makes one heck of a rifle and that one is no exception! Let me know how you like the accu-trigger. It seems that a lot manufacturers are jumping on the scout rifle concept after Ruger released their version.

I wouldn't really call this a scout rifle since a scout rifle has iron sights and the rail is in front of the action. Savage has a designated scout rifle but sadly nowhere as nice as the Ruger.

As for the Accutrigger I have had it on every savage rifle I've owned and currently own. It is the best factory stock trigger I have had the pleasure to shoot with.

That being said there is one major flaw in the accutrigger. IF you set it TOO LIGHT and try to work the bolt in a fast motion, the trigger will seize and not let you fire. Bt all you have to do is work the bolt again slowly for the trigger to reset itself.

Granted that only matters if you are trying to shoot 5 precise rounds as fast as you can like I was. I turned the trigger pull up a little and never had that problem again.

My northern neighbors: Can you even legally own a silencer or suppressor? Michigan just legalized it, but if you own one, you have to register it and pay a $200 USD tax on it....even if it's just for a .22 pistol or rifle.

I wouldn't really call this a scout rifle since a scout rifle has iron sights and the rail is in front of the action. Savage has a designated scout rifle but sadly nowhere as nice as the Ruger.

As for the Accutrigger I have had it on every savage rifle I've owned and currently own. It is the best factory stock trigger I have had the pleasure to shoot with.

That being said there is one major flaw in the accutrigger. IF you set it TOO LIGHT and try to work the bolt in a fast motion, the trigger will seize and not let you fire. Bt all you have to do is work the bolt again slowly for the trigger to reset itself.

Granted that only matters if you are trying to shoot 5 precise rounds as fast as you can like I was. I turned the trigger pull up a little and never had that problem again.

Very good info Drache! I wonder if it's a failsafe mechanism? The trigger on my Savage really isn't all that bad. Very little overtravel and almost no take up but it's just a bit heavy, maybe 6 lbs? I can always go with a Timney if need be. First, I just want to see how it shoots as is, with everything snug and tight.

My northern neighbors: Can you even legally own a silencer or suppressor? Michigan just legalized it, but if you own one, you have to register it and pay a $200 USD tax on it....even if it's just for a .22 pistol or rifle.

I believe that tax is a Federal tax. States can allow a silencer or not, but if they do, you have to pay the feds.

Anything like my Savage .270? :D

dsc01910hu.jpg

dsc01912cr.jpg

Golf Ball vs .270 win, slight miss - YouTube

Golf Ball vs .270 win, direct hit - YouTube

I've got more than a couple Savage rifles and sold many more over the years!

Exactly like it! I was at a range with my brother, who had never shot a gun before but wanted to deer hunt with us. Taught him the basics and let him try my 30-30 and Savage .270. He liked the Savage and shot a lot and was getting good. The range instructors were all talking about the tight groups the gun shoots. We were at 200 yards and my brother shot three shots that took out the center of the target. I shot three and they went in the same holes. He shoots three more in the same holes, and I do it again. Twelve shots in the same holes is unbelievable. I love that gun more than my wife, I do believe!

Drache,

You are 100% correct, the scout is intended for a long eye relief scope mounted forward.

The biggest problem I read about the Ruger is that the magazines are propretary and very expensive. Ruger responded that they didn't want any complaints about feeding from beat up surplus mags, so....

Exactly like it! I was at a range with my brother, who had never shot a gun before but wanted to deer hunt with us. Taught him the basics and let him try my 30-30 and Savage .270. He liked the Savage and shot a lot and was getting good. The range instructors were all talking about the tight groups the gun shoots. We were at 200 yards and my brother shot three shots that took out the center of the target. I shot three and they went in the same holes. He shoots three more in the same holes, and I do it again. Twelve shots in the same holes is unbelievable. I love that gun more than my wife, I do believe!

Damn I hope my Savage shoots like that!

My northern neighbors: Can you even legally own a silencer or suppressor?

No we cannot. Our Government believes that silencers will make people kill other people and no one will hear the shots and report it. I think they watched too many action movies.

Damn I hope my Savage shoots like that!

When I bought it, it was a year before accu-triggers. I shot well at the range but missed seven deer, all very close. I took my 30-30 and dropped two deer, each with one shot. I was ready to sell the gun. Then I bought a one piece scope mount and had the trigger lightened to 3 pounds. It turns out it was factory set at 10 pounds. At a range you concentrate on a slow steady squeeze while keeping the sight picture in focus from a rest. In the field, ten pounds was pulling me off target. The next year I walked up on two deer aimed at the first and shot right where I aimed. It dropped in it's tracks. Come to think of it, I have shot probably 20 deer with it now and only one ran off before dying. All the rest dropped in their tracks.

Did you's know that a .270 started life as a wildcat cartridge?????.....it's a necked down 30-06.
I like my WW1 Lee Enfield No.1 MkIII .303.....with all matching numbers too.

Attachments

• IMGP0067_resize.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 224
I have a Savage with the Accutrigger. I like the Tikka trigger as well.

When I bought it, it was a year before accu-triggers. I shot well at the range but missed seven deer, all very close. I took my 30-30 and dropped two deer, each with one shot. I was ready to sell the gun. Then I bought a one piece scope mount and had the trigger lightened to 3 pounds. It turns out it was factory set at 10 pounds. At a range you concentrate on a slow steady squeeze while keeping the sight picture in focus from a rest. In the field, ten pounds was pulling me off target. The next year I walked up on two deer aimed at the first and shot right where I aimed. It dropped in it's tracks. Come to think of it, I have shot probably 20 deer with it now and only one ran off before dying. All the rest dropped in their tracks.

More excellent information and thank you for your input! I understand what you are saying 100% when trying to shoot running game. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, and my guesstimate is just that, a guess. It's more than my 1911 and early 40's Ithaca pump, but less than my Ruger SR556 and much cleaner... as a friend put it, the trigger on my 556 is like dragging a cinder block through a parking lot. I'm very accurate with it given time.... I'll be getting a Geisller trigger for that when I can afford it.

Did you's know that a .270 started life as a wildcat cartridge?????.....it's a necked down 30-06.
I like my WW1 Lee Enfield No.1 MkIII .303.....with all matching numbers too.

I would love to shoot a REAL Mk II in the .308 configuration which I believe was issued in India? I saw TOP SHOT here in the states on the History channel and all the competetors had to shoot a Webley in.455 and a Lee Enfield. I believe the Lee Enfield is considered the smoothest bolt action ever devised due to it's rear lug action. Not the best for strength, but way fast.

I have a Savage with the Accutrigger. I like the Tikka trigger as well.

You have a Finnish Tikka? I hate you. :)

To sight in my rifles properly and make sure that I personally can't screw up the results I picked up one of these:

DSC04477.jpg

Has built on compression dampeners to minimize recoil on the whole machine.

Also came with a "hydraulic" trigger press. Don't even have to touch the trigger. :D

accessories_01-02.jpg

Some real nice rifles here, to much bang on my neck and shoulder :shock::shock:
So I guess I will keep my stealthy slow moving/invisible training in tact for the 100 yard shots :thumblef:
Congratulations on the new rifle Drache :cheers: and all the good info I just read here :happy1:

To sight in my rifles properly and make sure that I personally can't screw up the results I picked up one of these:

DSC04477.jpg

Has built on compression dampeners to minimize recoil on the whole machine.

Also came with a "hydraulic" trigger press. Don't even have to touch the trigger. :D

accessories_01-02.jpg

Sweet! I've got to get me one of those. :hello1:

-
Back