new tech, old design??

-

Punkmastadart

Reaction score
Is there a way i can install all the fuel injection components and transmission from a 95 Dodge Ram (318 motor) into my 73 Swinger?? Would it be a lot of work??

Sure it can be done. I've heard of guys doing what you want to do but beware the intake on the magnum engines is so tall I doubt it'll clear your stock hood so that means cutting a hole in the hood and installing a hood scoop. As far as making the stock fuel injection/computer work you have 2 choices. Have someone good with electrical stuff modifiy your ram's wiring harness to work or look for a custom harness. The transmission will rquire a little massaging of the crossmember and a custom driveshaft. Do a search about installing a a518 and you'll find numerous articles about it in the transmission section.

Oh yeah. It'll be allot of work but then again isn't any engine conversion alot of work?

Sounds like a lot more work than i can do :( due to lack equipment and facility i i think its more than i can chew on at the moment :(

Sounds like a lot more work than i can do :( due to lack equipment and facility i i think its more than i can chew on at the moment :(

I feel ya, Punkmasta. I didn't have a decent garage for 20 years, and now I finally do:cheers:. There's nothing like replacing a starter by using a sheet of cardboard as a creeper, and the curb on a busy street as a jackstand. No fun at all.

Are there any community colleges in the area where you could take auto shop and work on your Dart? I'm going for an even more ambitious route doing a Neon turbo motor and Supra 5 speed, plus I've got rust holes in the floorboards and cowl to repair. Oy! So, I'm taking a welding class on Wednesday nights to learn how to repair and build the pieces I need. Doesn't cost too much, either. Definitely worth checking out.

You might also see if there are any auto repair shops that would be willing to trade your labor for being able to use the shop and tools.

Good luck and go for it!

I decided to abandon the idea :( it would have been sweet but i didnt have luck finding a place to work :( im putting in the motor to my swinger in the front yard and it sucks so far wit all the cold and breezes, so ima hold off on the fuel injection and overdrive...for now ;)

I decided to abandon the idea :( it would have been sweet but i didnt have luck finding a place to work :( im putting in the motor to my swinger in the front yard and it sucks so far wit all the cold and breezes, so ima hold off on the fuel injection and overdrive...for now ;)
i'm sure MoPar sell a very simplistic, easy to install fuel injection wire harness w/ pcm. there should be 3 kits:
Stage 1, 2, and 3. do a google search, or goto www.mopar.com or http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/

I think the Eddy Performer has bosses that can be machined for FI (mine does but it's old). Don't know if alignment would require a custom fuel rail or not. You'd also need a 4 barrel throttle body. Some of the Mopar mags have done retroactive FI on the LA. You may want to search for the articles, or maybe someone else knows where it can be found on line.

DUDE YOUR DUSTER LOOKS FLIPPIN SWEET WITH THE NEW MOTOR!!!! OMG I SO WISH I HAD A PLACE TO DO IT TOO! ...im so jealous =P~

go to mopar muscle mag .com they had a whole article on that swap ,what you need ,even how long it takes , they said its an easy swap

Thanks Punkmastadart, it's nice to get some good feedback. most of the cruise nights I've gotten to have resulted in dirty looks, that is until they look under the hood and don't see a carb. Then they just look confused ;-)
My setup is what I like to call "Straight Junkyard", but it's pretty fun. I'm trading my '87 Shelby Charger Drag car to a friend for his '68 Dart, and I'm gonna get started on going "Straight Junkyard" with a 5.7 Hemi swap on it, hopefully before we have our first child in Feb.
Dan

Magnumduster - Did you have to do any tuning to make the EFI setup work? If so, what did you use for tuning? What kind of hp do you think it will support? If anyone has a link to the thread that describes this swap, please post. I couldn't find it at mopar muscle mag. Thanks.

-
Back