NEW THREAD-Why we don't finish........

-
LOSS OF MOMENTUM
This, boys and girls, without a doubt……is the Granddaddy of all project-killers. I mention this now because even though you may lack money, or any of the other topics I’ll soon mention, lack of momentum is the end result, and the ultimate demise. Scientists tell us that, in the world of physics, kinetic energy is defined as this; an object in motion tends to stay in motion (unless acted upon by outside forces; i.e. gravity), likewise, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. And so it goes with our projects. We take “a few days off” due to many reasons; work conflict, family issues, vacation, home repairs, illness, winter season…..the list goes on and on. And, likewise, go our excuses. I am guilty as charged…perhaps more than all of you! Yes, I’ve had my reasons. And in my mind, they were justified! But it doesn’t matter, really, because the results are the same….projects come to a screeching halt! And we know about objects at rest……
So, I’ve come up with a solution for my own behavior modification. It works like this; I plan to work on the car every night during a certain time period that shouldn’t interfere with family, work, or “other”. Now, being reasonable, I realize that out of a seven day week, there are bound to be a couple days when it just won’t click. But no matter; I’ve planned to work in that time period, whether or not it actually happens. No more than an hour, except on weekends (can’t ignore home & family….makes for bigger problems than it’s worth!) But, if I could actually work that hour, every day, every week, for a year, it would total 365 hours in a year! Now, you’d never log that many hours, but think of it this way- if you logged HALF those hours, you’d still rack up over 150 hours on your project. And that’s nothing to sneeze at! So, if you PLAN on an hour a day….you might be surprised where you end up! I know I’ve logged more time THIS WEEK ALONE than the past 10 months TOTAL! What does that tell me? That I need a PLAN. That I need STRUCTURE. That an object (Duke, me) at rest tends to stay at rest. (Duke, me).
Not to mention the fact that working on your project (hands-on) actually creates inspiration…and provides mental challenges that goad you into returning the following night (instead of watching King of Queens reruns). My biggest enemy of late is staring me in the face….my computer! Man, I love to spend my time on the forums, (FABO in particular) but it cuts into my Prime Time. I need to cut back on it during nice weather (so if you don’t hear from me on a daily basis, just smile and wonder what the hell I’m up to!)
This does raise an interesting topic, though; does doing something on your project (anything!) significant or otherwise, keep the fire burning? For me it does; it may work for you as well. The worst time for me is the winter off-season, because I get totally out of touch with what I was doing and where I was. That’s why it’s important, IMHO, to keep viewing the FABO site and keep the mental picture sharp even if not actually working on the project!
:clock: Time is a cruel master!

A.K.A. Burnout!!!
Been there, I didn't even look at the Scamp for 7 months.

LOL at King of Queens!!! When we watched TV that was mine and Nikkis fav show. I agree 100% on the computer, it sucks you in.

all this talk about the computer suckin you in, i better get off it and go work on my projects!! lol

Captain, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for getting it started.

In working (or not working) on my own 68 Fastback for the last 17 years, I can recommend to your readers to beware of mission creep (or, as I call it, "While I'm Here Disease"). It's one of the main reasons I've had the car for so long and it's still not finished, but it's close.

As you embark on your restoration project, be ready for your initial plans to change -- a LOT. Say you got a killer deal on a nice pair of front shocks on ebay. You're all excited to go put them on and see how they look and make the car feel.

You jack up the car, take the wheels off, and uh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh -- holy cow! Look at those nasty ancient bushings! I'm surprised they even held the car up looking like that. Of course, there's no point in putting nice new shocks on that thing because all I'll do is tear 'em up and wear them out prematurely unless I change out all those front suspension bushings first. And while I'm here, I might as well get that new sway bar too. What do you mean polygraphite costs almost twice as much??? And look at that pitman arm ... sigh ... might as well change out the idler arm too while I'm doing all of this.

See what I mean???

And that's just one little thing on your project that should take a half hour and fifty bucks that's now somehow transformed itself into a two-or-more-week effort -- since you have to order the bushings and save up for that sway bar, pitman and idler arm -- and it's no doubt going to cost you three times as much as you originally thought. And don't forget the new floor jack too, because after your car's sat up in the air for two weeks waiting for your parts to arrive, the seal popped and all the oil leaked outta the jack and made a big mess on the floor.

Not that I'd know. I'm just a chick. :-D

Rust...is the biggest reason I didn't finish my Formula 'S'. Everytime I went to replace something, I found something attached to it rusted out. So far the whole front clip has been replaced. I have also replaced all the frame rails, including the torsion bar crossmember. All of the trunk, and parts of the front floors needed replacing too. Check your projects out REAL good before purchasing, or costing it out. It always costs more than you expect.

Body Damage: (My own ). I messed up my shoulder & neck at work, so I can't do any heavy or prolonged work anymore. Thats why I bought the 69, it didn't need much work. Now I have to pay somebody else for a lot of the work I used to do. The Formula 'S' is on the back burner because of it.

I agree with the others, start out with a project in that is in decent shape.

Great thread.btw.

Did anyone mention KISS?
It works for me.
To coin a phrase:
"A bird on the road is worth two on the jackstands."
(Presupposing that is the only option)

I can add one from my experience:

I could have had my first restoration project finished almost a year ago. But I am very particular about how things are done and the quality of the work. If you farm out something you can not do yourself, make sure you get a time frame of when it will be finished and most importantly make sure you express the standard of quality you expect. My guy was in way over his head. I started with an amazingly clean car. I just made the BIG mistake of choosing the wrong guy for the job. Although we are now friends, I have learned to do a lot of things myself by correcting his mistakes. Lucky for him I've been too patient.

The good news is that I will be finished with my first car in the next month or so. Since I started almost 2 years ago, I could not have done many of the things on this project without the encouragement from the great people here at FABO. Use this site. It is the best out there bar none. :cheers:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=13213&page=18

I may hear crap for saying this but I Really enjoy the process!!
Its sorta therepy to me to grab a beer and go to the garage - if all I can afford to do is clean parts on the wirewheel - than thats what I do - and yes
I get a kick out of restoring the little things. Ill get the starter or wiper moter
or p/s pump all detailed especially when I can bench test the stuff I get a kick out of it. I guess the part that bugs me is all the people asking when it will be FINISHED!! --- Whenever! when Im done Im sure there will be more I want to do -- Since my daughter was born I just tell people it will be done in time to drive in her homecoming parade - LOL! I guess what Im saying is I take it one step at a time enjoy the process and dont let people rush me.
Its worked for me.
Bill

Thanks....you've laid out some important points. ("Mission Creep"....I like that! Although I thought that was what you called a stalker at a religious retreat....oh, nevermind!)
That is PRECISELY the type of problem I was discussing on this thread. And my kids are GROWN and long since homecoming and they STILL never got a ride in the thing! So don't laugh. Things can get away from you (time being one of them!):clock:
Regardless, you have to address this issue before you start your project. Are you the type who is gonna cringe at every rusty bolt, every cracked rubber suspension part, every rusty brake line? I am. A project of the magnitude of mine (the Duke...for details see my resto thread; Captainkirk's Duster project) should've been started in earnest 10 years ago. But I know that. So I'm trying to make up for lost time by cranking up the heat.
You have to ask yourself if this sounds like you!
As far as doing as much as I can myself, I'm all on board with that. I have little or no respect for a guy who walks into a resto joint with an overstuffed wallet and a list of things he wants done to "his" project....and picks it up a few months later. All he does is own it. My hat's off to all of you who struggle and fight into the wee hours of the morning building YOUR cars. You do more than just own these cars, folks. You've put a little piece of your soul into them. And it shows, both in your writing and your pictures. You guys have no idea how much respect I have for all of you doing these resto threads....we're all walking the same road. Thanks so much for your input to this thread. Let's keep it rolling! Remember.......:clock:

Not that I'd know. I'm just a chick. :-D

Just a chick???Na I don't think so, you're definatly not your average chick!! You're one of the guys with one hell of a nice hair-do!!! Two thumbs up to ya!! Lots of ladies with guys into cars could take some lessons from you:cheers:

I think the biggest problem is motivation. If I keep motivated all the other things that have been stated seem to happen. You figure out how to get the money, you make time and everything starts to fall into place. What has helped me is dividing everything into little projects not looking at the whole thing. That way you have lots of small victories and you keep working. Another thing that has helped is making a list of what currently needs done that way if you cannot continue with what you are working on you look at the list and go to what you can. You need to make sure you spend the money where you need to and maybe not where you want to. Installing a big block is great but if you need rust repair or suspension work you need to fix that stuff first. There are so many things that seem to kill a project.

LMAO Macadoo!!!

It was mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago how lots of car guys hooked up with women who aren't into cars. Personally, I can't see it ... if the love of your life doesn't enjoy, partake and support your hobby regardless of its nature, it makes life difficult to say the least. And you're robbed of the journey along the way.

Sure, I can understand the garage being a guy's hideaway from the never ending nagging about the honey-do list and all those other things "normal" women complain about, but it makes it truly special when you can both work on the projects, teach and help each other, and eventually enjoy the results of the teamwork together. Billy's always said I think like a dude and that's why he loves me so much ... I just don't look like one.

Enough of that off-topic crap. Sorry to mildly hijack your thread Captain. I have to go fix my hair now. LOL!!!!

Enough of that off-topic crap. Sorry to mildly hijack your thread Captain. I have to go fix my hair now. LOL!!!!

Hey, it's not my thread.....it's for all of us who have stopped cold in the middle of our projects at one time or another (for a myriad of reasons) so that we can help others just starting out not to fall prey to the same proplems. And for those of you who breezed through a 101 point concours restoration in 11 months, we hate your guts and don't want your input anyway! LOL!:tongue6:

I like the idea of dividing up your project into "mini-projects". Sounds like a great way to set goals and try to meet or exceed them without going insane, broke, or too old to work anymore! That way you can celebrate your small victories and triumphs every couple of months, rather than years, or decades, as if the shoe fits. (looking at the ceiling and whistling):smilebox:

thats what i do,cuz if your car was a runner when you got it, you can do lil things like swap motors,trannys, ect ect, in a weekend, and still drive it that week

I can see this thread know that I have put things in perspective,:colors: With all that is going on in my life that this great site has dune for me.:love7:
I used to be a get it dun and move on to the next faze, but with to boys
I had two other projects going all the time as they got there drivers license
and before they got them, #-o
I enjoy working on cars, or doing my own rebuild or refreshing a motor for another season on the road or at the track. Seems just as I get the battery out and the starter off the kids always need my help or want a paint job on there new car or truck, And I was more then happy to stop and get there cruiser in the shop for a good bath and watch them pull parts and wet sand
there ride down and I would get the grinder out and start in on body work
we would work through the night with each other.:rock:
then after a few hours of sleep I would go back to there car and nit pick it more and block and in would come one of my son's and say When are you going to paint it,:protest: As soon as you start washing the floor down and block out these primer spots and then I will watch you put a coat of sealer on each spot we have repaired. But I have a ball game dad and so on. 15 to 16 years old.:smilebox:
So to make a long story short I prep all area and water down the floor and shoot it early the next morning.
This thing that we do is a lot of fun when you are young and can jump up and down all around the car tapeing and belly spraying all the hard to get to places but that will be dun different know at my age.:thumbrig:
My boys are busy with there own projects, raising children and stock car racing, I will be getting allot of help from them on my new 66 Valiant.
But there are allot of things I won't let them do just because I want to spend my time doing it myself and my way.
The story I just told you is true to the bone, Creed's "my youngest" and his short box two tone red and white truck we turned Rally Red.
So the battery and starter went back in the challenger and I drove it about two weeks and got the 318 bored 30 over and and a small rv cam in and painted and it was a full 8 months getting it looking good and drove it many miles, to Chicago and Tampa and in many car shows here in Arkansas and Mo.
It will be a fender to a door to a 1/4 pannel at at time.:love7:
but first will be susp, and eng slowly first. That is the plan anyway.:glasses8:
I will start showing the Valiant as soon as I get it, in the under construction
groups. With a big For-A-Bodies only sign in front of it.
Yes I believe that know that I have to much time on my hands at times this little A will be a clean and sweet ride to show and go in soon.
I have allot to do to show I am worthy of this dandy 66 A body yall have set me up with :love5:, I know how to shut my phone off and Creed my son has a complete shop for the heavy repairs and paint of choice when the day comes.
Captainkirk has hit it on the nail head along with all other members here on what can hold up a project. So with that said I have a big advantage on most of us here with the help of my two sons and all the members here.
I think the worst part will be keeping my old friends from slowing me down.
or when the fish are bitting.:bootysha:
This is another great thread by Captainkirk :cheers:

I don't remember if this one has been said.

DIVORCE

Will stop you dead in your tracks and sometimes you can't keep your car.

I don't remember if this one has been said.

DIVORCE

Will stop you dead in your tracks and sometimes you can't keep your car.

I alluded to divorce in chapter 1, but didn't elaborate seeing as how there was no first-hand experience, only observations of friends & relatives. By all means, those of you who have had first-hand experience feel free to jump in and elaborate; I'm sure this is probably one of The Big Three as to why projects end up in the boneyard. Tell us your stories....please!

This is another great thread by Captainkirk

Thanks, Mike. Your stories about helping your boys out brought a smile to my face.....been there, done that! I only wish they hadn't turned out to be GM freaks! LOL!

Thanks, Mike. Your stories about helping your boys out brought a smile to my face.....been there, done that! I only wish they hadn't turned out to be GM freaks! LOL!

i help my dad work on his cars, as he helps me on mine when needed. and it makes it easier since were all MOPAR! :D

sorry to here your kids turned out to be GM freaks:sign10:

I alluded to divorce in chapter 1, but didn't elaborate seeing as how there was no first-hand experience, only observations of friends & relatives. By all means, those of you who have had first-hand experience feel free to jump in and elaborate; I'm sure this is probably one of The Big Three as to why projects end up in the boneyard. Tell us your stories....please!

Well, since im going through mine right now. My 71 Charger is a long time from being in running shape. So its going away. I put her up for sale as a project/parts car. I also gave a deadline for this car. If its not out by the 27th. It will be crushed, scrapped, whatever. Ill put her up for sale here too, give you guys a chance.

Things didn't work out the way I thought they would. So we must go our separate ways. She's keeping the Duster.

I did however find a running 71 Charger in Kentucky. So im going to save $$$ and buy it.

I'll miss my first car that i bought with my own money.
She needs attention that i won't be able to give her anymore.

I do agree with the points mentioned above. But I think that it is VERY important befor you start a project to ask yourself some questions. Some have already been mentioned, but I will tell you what I ask myself.

1. Can you afford it? and yes...triple it! esp with body work!

2. How much work are you going to do? Restore it? Frame OFF restoration? Presentable Driver? Driver? All mechanical new? all interior new? etc etc. and whatever you decide...don't change it. thats what can drain you in the end. Too many cars get there engine's removed, and there trannies taken out, and there diffs removed, and never put back together when the original inteded work on the car was to change the clutch, but the owner thought, why stop at the clutch when I can rebuild everything! Cars come apart faster than they go together! Or you see people with there car on Here, and they are asking other people if they should paint the floors, or remove all the stearing assembly and paint the inner fenders. or buy this, or buy that. Let me tell you. It is way easier to spend someone elses money. and thats half the problem. I saw one poor kid asking what was involved with a /6 to 318 swap, and everyone was telling him to sell the 318, and get a 360, then to build up the 360. I had to jump in and tell the kid he only needed the right tranny, and motor mounts from schumacher, and a handfull of other things, and that all the cams, and intakes, and 360's that other people where segesting was NOT needed. Keep your eye on your goal. not what other people want.

3. Why are you building the car? Daily driver? show? Street? strip? that changes alot for the project.

4. When do you want to be done by? If you don't have a deadline, odds are, you won't finish. could be 3 years, 2 years, your birthday, your anniversary. doesn't matter. You need to have a date figured out, that way you can keep track if you are ON track! I had a 73 dart that was off the rd for 3 years. then one day I said I wanted it insured for my Birthday..boom! I had my car insured for my birthday 3 monthes later.

5. Is your better half on board FULLY?

6. Last but not least. Put it in writing and let people know what you are doing. I have had paople say it can't be done, and I have had suporters. Its amazing how Both help you keep motivated. You don't want to be proven wrong right?

There is no way I would have been able to do all that I have done to my duster in the last two monthes, if I didn't follow all these rules.

and one last rule...don't be afraid to ask for help!

Phil

Well, since im going through mine right now. My 71 Charger is a long time from being in running shape. So its going away. I put her up for sale as a project/parts car. I also gave a deadline for this car. If its not out by the 27th. It will be crushed, scrapped, whatever. Ill put her up for sale here too, give you guys a chance.

Things didn't work out the way I thought they would. So we must go our separate ways. She's keeping the Duster.

I did however find a running 71 Charger in Kentucky. So im going to save $$$ and buy it.

I'll miss my first car that i bought with my own money.
She needs attention that i won't be able to give her anymore.

dont crush it:crybaby:

Ahh....there's always hope for my kids. Remember; they haven't yet ridden in a hot Mopar....or been seduced by a l'il Red Minx or challenged by The Duke Himself. Someday they will be smitten.
Some really good points are being made by all of you on this thread. Keep your suggestions & comments coming while I work on the next chapter!:love7:

-
Back