New to A-Bodies

-
Yeah. A/C, Power Steering, center console, floor shifter and bucket seats. Plus all of that is in pretty great condition, aside from the A/C needing a recharge. Took me a minute to get use to the floor shifter. All classics that I've owned have had column shifters. I meant to take a photo of the door tag to verify that all the trim stuff was factory but I forgot. Compared to all of the other Dart's we looked at in person and online we got it for a steal. Even got it for $200 off the asking price. We just threw out the number as a starting point but were fully prepared to pay the asking price if he stuck to it. Being as he accepted our price without any hassle we could have probably gone even lower, but what we offered was a fair price and didn't want to risk screwing ourselves out of a good car. We're really really happy that the 65 we looked at the day before didn't work out.

We picked up the car tonight. I drove it home which was about 30 miles via streets. The car drives pretty well aside from feeling sluggish and the brakes sticking a little. Brake pedal feels fine while being pushed but sticks about halfway to 3/4 when released. I have to pull it back the rest of the way with my foot. I am thinking either air in the line or maybe the master cylinder wasn't bench bled right when the seller "refreshed" it. Also the speedometer isn't working. Probably just needs some lubrication like my 67 did when I got it. The temp gauge also isn't working. Not sure yet if it is the gauge or the sender. Will test that over the next few days. Was originally planning on taking the car to my parents and a friend's tomorrow for the 4th, but have decided not to so that I can do the tune up and valve adjustment before we do another long drive.

Bought a bunch of tune up stuff when I got home. About half of it had to be brought in from the warehouse so I wont have everything until tomorrow.

Once I got home I drained the oil. Oil was about what I would expect for as long as it has been sitting, if not slightly better than expected. Still black as night, but not super thick. I tried to get the oil filter off but my wrench wouldn't fit with how it sits between the body and the block. Need to get a better oil filter tool. I ran some new oil through the system to try and get some more of the old oil out before I plugged the pan.

Bought a couple of new belts since the existing ones are pretty terrible. Can't seem to figure out how to loosen the AC pulley to replace the belt though. Any info would be awesome.

-
Back