new to mopar and this site

-

440dart4speed

Reaction score
Hello everyone just got my first old mopar a 73 dart sport and dont know much about it so in my internet search i found you guys and after browsing through some of the pages i think this is the place i need to be. So my name is Troy from Okatie S.C. and the car 73 dart sport under the hood 440 4speed tranny rear???????? dont know havent gotten that far yet the car runs drives if it had good tires that held air but nothing works light dash lights tail lights oil pressure guage works but thats about all theres no interior rotted lower quarters and some pin holes in the trunk the rest of the body is pretty straight and for some reasn after running for a few minutes the headers start glowing red anyone know why they are getting so hot? will post some pics soon for everyone to see

Welcome to FABO, Troy! Yes this is the best site. Re: glowing headers, I believe that's a timing issue. But other members are more qualified to help you on tech stuff. Enjoy yourself here!

im not sure the headers are hooker super competition one side has nothing for exhaust and the other side is about 3 foot of pipe with a cheep muffler so its super loud and hard to hear if there is a skip or knock in it. thanks for the welcome!!

Welcome aboard!!! Big block eh?? Attaboy!! You're gonna love it here and find it addicting!! Sorry cant help with yer issues, maybe next time:read2:

Welcome to FABO!!! Yes, this is the place you need to be. Please share your pics when you can!!! Geof

Welcome to Fabo.
The headers on my RR would glow also. Like said above, The timing was the problem. Setting the total timing to 36 deg fixed it.

Welcome Troy. This is the best place to find info needed for all your MoPar questions.

Welcome to FABO! Here is an id chart for your rear end. Sould be a Dana with a big block 4 speed car. But you never know till you look. Sounds like a nice car. Good luck on you build.

Attachments

• id chart.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 167
Trying to figure out how to post pics

Attachments

• IMG_20101007_163402.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20101007_163342.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20101007_163451.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20101007_163424.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to FABO! Here is an id chart for your rear end. Sould be a Dana with a big block 4 speed car. But you never know till you look. Sounds like a nice car. Good luck on you build.
thanks for the welcome and for the info now i know the rear is an 8 1/4. is this rear enough for the motor and tranny combo or should i start looking for a better one i dont plan on doing any thing to the motor other than making it run properly and going down the road with it

Welcome.Yes you'll need a stronger rear end...8 3/4 or bigger. You can use a Dana 60 from a truck and cut it down to length if you're on a budget. B body 8 3/4's are the cheapest way to go. Glowing headers are usually from the timing being advanced.

-
Back