New to Mopar

-

DNasty777

Perpetually In Pieces
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Dave and am from Upstate NY. Rochester area to be more precise. I've been lurking around for a little and you guys have an awesome site with tons of info.

I recently picked up a '69 Valiant. It's a base model, 2 door, with a 225. Decent shape, a little surface rust, but almost no rust through. Just a little on the passenger fender. It needs some paint work as one of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to rattle can the whole car with little to no prep work. The drivers side window was broken and had been replaced with plexiglass but now that is scratched and broken as well. And last but not least the passenger side turn signals are not working.

My plans so far are to:
1) Pretty up the body a little. Even if that means just taking it down to the metal and priming it. Also, finding a new window.
2) Fixing the turn signals
3) Get it running properly! (New carb on the way from summit as the one on it now has a LARGE crack in the casting and is completely shot)

I've worked on cars before, but they were always my daily, so this is my first true "project".

I've got a couple of questions that I hope some of you guys can answer:
1) The drivers side window (front to be more precise), is that interchangeable with any other models? I thought I read somewhere that it can only be grabbed from other 2 door valiants and 4 door darts, is this true?
2) I think I've pin pointed the turn signal problem, when replacing the turn signal cam/switch I noticed the part "beneath" it has been melted and the contacts are no longer sitting flush. I'm thinking this is causing my problems. Any ideas on what this part is called and where I can get a replacement?

Thank you all so much for putting together such an awesome site and for any help you may be able to give.

Now for the pics:

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

interesting....69 valiant with a 73+ front clip.....do you have the original front end?

Nope, no original front end. Actually I didn't even realize that it was a different front end until you said something. :-?

As you can see I'm completely new to these cars.

Nope, no original front end. Actually I didn't even realize that it was a different front end until you said something. :-?

As you can see I'm completely new to these cars.
yes its got the cheper one on it but still looks good :burnout:

Alright gentlemen, I've found a 69 dart grill locally, that should fit right?

Dart doctor, if shipping through greyhound isn't too bad, how much would you want for the hood?

your 69 grill won't work on that grill opening. looks like the whole front clip was changed to later model that uses a different hood and (i think) fenders. You've also got a 67-69 dart bumper on there. I'd leave it like it is until you can find the right hood, bumper etc., it really doesn't look bad the way it is.
as for door glass, the Dart four door glass won't fit but the 67-68 Dart two door sedan (post) cars use identical doors as the 67-72 valiants, keep an eye out in the for sale forums.
welcome to the site !! -pauly

after a closer looksee it appears that the fenders are correct and will work with the 69 grill, hood is different though. -pauly

Thank you so much pauly. I should have stated that I checked the vin on the fender and it matches the registration which states the car is a 69, so I'm assuming they didnt change up the fenders.

I may have some parts for you, about 2 to 3 hours away, hood, door glass, grill, maybe a bumper that would work. Good luck with your Valiant!
Check out my thread in the link below...

How's that car coming along? Any pictures?

Slowly but surely. Just moved out of my parents house so progressed has really slowed. Bought some new wheels and tires for it, as well as a BBP disc brake front kit, and some temporary adapters for the back.

275s in the back
IMAG0021-1.jpg

Barely fit, shouldn't rub
IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

One side buttoned up, still have to get around to the other.
IMAG0042-1.jpg

Welcome! Looks like you picked a nice project. Good luck with your build.

-
Back