New to racing.....not to Mopars.

-

69DARTWANTED

Reaction score
Hello out there.

I'm looking for suggestions.

I just picked this 69 swinger up last week. I've got 20 hours into freeing up the rusted rings, priming the engine, cleaning out mouse crap, etc, etc, etc. The car was a barn find and had not run in years.....but I got it back to life and running as of today.

I've owned dozens of Mopars, but am excited to try my hand at 1/8 mile drags. In addition, 300 foot drags are getting very popular in Southern Wisconsin.

Here is my problem. The rubber on this car is dry-rotted from sitting. I need a new set of tires......but am brand new to the drag scene.

On the 300 foot side of things, they don't allow burn outs to warm the tires at my area tracks. I heard that full slicks might be the wrong way to go because they are designed to be "heated/burned out" then they stick. I'm not sure if this is BS or not. I just want to get the right tires the first time.

What are suggestions on tires for this car......knowing you can't warm them before take off?

The next area race (and final of the season) is next Thursday the 13th. I would like to be there.....hooking up! Suggestions on suppliers is also appreciated. I don't think I can go to my local tire dealer and expect these to be in stock. Please help!!!

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Hello out there.

I'm looking for suggestions.

I just picked this 69 swinger up last week. I've got 20 hours into freeing up the rusted rings, priming the engine, cleaning out mouse crap, etc, etc, etc. The car was a barn find and had not run in years.....but I got it back to life and running as of today.

I've owned dozens of Mopars, but am excited to try my hand at 1/8 mile drags. In addition, 300 foot drags are getting very popular in Southern Wisconsin.

Here is my problem. The rubber on this car is dry-rotted from sitting. I need a new set of tires......but am brand new to the drag scene.

On the 300 foot side of things, they don't allow burn outs to warm the tires at my area tracks. I heard that full slicks might be the wrong way to go because they are designed to be "heated/burned out" then they stick. I'm not sure if this is BS or not. I just want to get the right tires the first time.

What are suggestions on tires for this car......knowing you can't warm them before take off?

The next area race (and final of the season) is next Thursday the 13th. I would like to be there.....hooking up! Suggestions on suppliers is also appreciated. I don't think I can go to my local tire dealer and expect these to be in stock. Please help!!!

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

View attachment 1715220258

View attachment 1715220259

View attachment 1715220260

View attachment 1715220261

View attachment 1715220263
Correction: The photos of the front tires show, the spares from my car hauler. Luckily they were a 4.5 bolt pattern as well. The tires on the car when I found it were so bad I couldn't air them up. A quick change was in order, just to load and get it home!

Any racing slick or drag radial used on the rear will work better with a burnout to clean tire of rocks, dirt, and any other debris.
Any hard passenger car tire will have normal traction and will spin easily even with a short burnout.
If you plan to street drive it, just put drag radials on the rear and passenger car radials on the front.
Also, if you had to spend that much time freeing up the engine, you may be better off pulling the engine to check bearings, pistons, and cylinder bores before beating on it. It may be fine, but I personally would not risk it.

-
Back