New to rear end swapping

-
Reaction score
Hello folks, so looking at a 742 casing rear which I believe is an A body rear, spring perch measurements are 43.5 from the looks of it and flange to flange right at 55. I want to swap it in my 1974 plymouth valiant 4 dr sedan. I know I'll be looking at shortening the drive shaft or getting an aftermarket but will I have to reset spring perches and do pinion angle? I was looking at shortening it and putting axles for bbp.
Thank you

From research on this site and others, this is what I’ve learned. It’s a 68-70 b body rear end, which is 54 15/16” from flange to flange. You’ll need to move move the perch’s in from 44” to 43”, shorten it, shorten your drive shaft if you’re going from an 7 1/4 to 8 3/4, get a u joint adapter 7290-7260(Doctor Diff sells them), you’ll need new Ubolts and shock plates if you’re upgrading from an 7 1/4 and new yoke hardware as well. It will already have 5 on 4.5 BBP axles.

I’m currently upgrading mine now with a 65-67 b body rear. I don’t have to shorten my rear as it’s only a little bit wider than an A body rear and in my Dart Sport, the extra inch and change is an improvement on looks, in my opinion.

Awesome, yea further research shows its the b body rear. I see some people massage it to fit without shortening it but I rather shorten to get it perfect. Now can I have my guy just move the perches inward at the same angle? Or will the pinion have to be set no matter what.

Move the perches in to 42" and inboard the leaf springs with a Dr Diff kit.

-
Back