New torque converter

-

pjc360

Reaction score
For those who dont know i recently had the A-518 transmission fully re-built in my pick up, i tried getting answers in the 4x4 sites but you guys always answer my questions best.
Anyways its a 1991 dodge power ram 150 360 magnum A-518 transmission, it was fully re-built roughly 500 miles ago... I started getting a vibration in the dash and the steering wheel and replaced a bunch of stuff that i thought it might be before returning it to the transmission shop, i finally returned it to the transmission shop and told them something was going on with it. The owner argued with me for a bit saying it was my engine not firing on all 8 cylinders that was causing the vibration, but i finally got him to go take a real good look at it and he called me back two days later and said he had to order me another torque converter.
Well they called me today and told me my truck was done and i went and picked it up and he said we drove it around for a good 20 to 30 minutes ran thru all the gears and checked it out that solved your vibration and i think you'll be happy with it.
So i go and start it up let it idle for a few minutes shooting the breeze with the tranny guys about the owners fancy new duramax diesel and i go to leave and when i put it in drive to take off i notice a noise, and the only way i can describe this noise is to me it sounds alot like a transfer case does when your four wheel drive coming down a steep or mountain road at a pretty good rate of speed and you let off the gas and you get that woooooooo type noise like a wind up type noise or humming/whining type noise, now this is a brand spankin new torque converter and those transmission guys drove that truck around enough to burn a quarter tank of fuel and i have a locking gas cap so i know they drove it around cause it had a half tank when i first brought it back to them.
The owner told me that its working great and that i shouldnt have any more problems with it at all, but this noise has me concerned???? it seems to only happen when im in first gear and just starting to take off... now those transmission guys had to of heard this noise if i can hear it i know they heard it, so i'm kinda thinking and hoping that thats normal for a brand new converter??? or im kinda thinking and hoping that maybe it makes that souns because of the stall of the converter??? i just dont know. I know you guys are very knowledgable with the mopar transmissions and thats why im asking, do i have a problem here? i cant imagine them sending me out the door in it if that noise is not normal and spells trouble, its under warranty a 2 year warranty and theyreplaced the torque converter for free i had to pay 10 bucks for new converter bolts and thats it.
So im really hoping this is normal behavior from a brand new converter or that its normal cause of the stall of the converter? if its not normal and a problem im just going to be bringing it right back to them again.... They will probly be pissed off about it but owell i paid 2400 bucks cash for that re-build and i want it done right. The transmission shifts great, it dont leak any fluid, and its got real good throttle response it feels much more grabbier with this new converter, i just cant see them sending me out the door if that wasnt normal because they had to of heard it. any info or opinions please??? thank you guys very much for trying to help me out too.

i forgot to add that it only makes this noise while at a slow start off speed, i cant hear it at higher speeds, and it does not make the noise while in park or nuetral only in gear, its when im first taking off from a stop that i get the humming/woooo noise.

no one has any information on this? i was told that if the throttle valvle cable/kickdown cable was not adjusted properly that it could cause the whine, i read a service repair bullietin for this transmission and it says whine that goes along with rpm/speed check fluid level and the adjustment of the throttle valvle cable and or check check balls in the valvle body? make sense? i have a very hard time believing its the torque converter this torque converter is brand spankin new dont even have 100 miles on it yet, and i highly doubht that it is a bearing in the transmission because it was fully re-built in september and dont even have 500 miles on it yet. Plus the transmission shop had to take the transmission back out to replace the original converter they put in it after the re-build with a new converter and if they seen anything else that needed to be replaced im sure they would have replaced it because it is still under warranty, and im sure they checked everything they could when they had it out to see if anything else went out or needed to be replaced do to the converter problem. At least you'd think a good shop would do stuff like that and i am pretty sure they did, i have been told they are the best shop in town and when they realized i needed a new converter they replaced it quick with no issue.
Im thinking this noise is the throttle valvle cable being out of adjustment, because when i was driving home from the transmission shop after they got the new converter installed, i got off the freeway and was pulling up to the stop sighn and stopped and went to take off and the transmission was in 2nd gear it never shifted back down to first upon the stop, so i pulled it down into first with the colum and it shifted down to first then i put it back in drive and came to 2 or 3 different complet stops and took off to see if it would shift down into first on its own and it was shifting down into first, it just didnt that one time when i stopped at stop sight after getting off the freeway but it did when i pulled the shifter down into first? so im thinking that is a sighn of the throttle valvle cable being mis adjusted wich is also bringing the whineing noise because i read if it is out of adjustment that it will bring about a whining noise.

-
Back