New torque/ did we screw up ? 360 magnum

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Ok so the 727 is in , hughes 2500 rpm stall and my old b&m flexplate , we knocked out the stall 's weight to make it neutral , : thats what i always heard and saw + wondering is all my 904 kickdown rods will fit my new 727 ? * i told my friend to remove the weight on the side....i tought it was a weight that needed to be removed , did we screwed up something ?

received_488969153072524.jpeg

received_829298805116223.jpeg

received_1241915729926140.jpeg

received_1717360215287722.jpeg

The 360 balance weights are normally on the drive face of the convertor. Weights on other parts of the convertor are usually for balancing the convertor itself, ie get the convertor balanced to 0 and then add the appropriate 360 "external balance" weights.
So to make the convertor neutral balance, you need to knock these weights off:
20200722_161629-jpg.jpg

Additionally, I hope your "old B&M flex plate" isn't for a neutral balance engine.
5.9 Magnums are not neutral balance. They are externally balanced, but the balance is different than an LA360. People generally use the 5.9 Magnum flexplate, which is weighted, with a neutral convertor by oblonging 1 of the holes in the flexplate.

No the flex plate was for the 5.9 magnum ' s balance...ok then what will happen since my friend put the trans on tonight, we are screwed and need to put back that weight that he removed ? Just really wondering what can be the worst case scenario if we start this ?

No the flex plate was for the 5.9 magnum ' s balance...ok then what will happen since my friend put the trans on tonight, we are screwed and need to put back that weight that he removed ? Just really wondering what can be the worst case scenario if we start this ?
V-v-v-vibr-r-ration-n-nss... eat bearings... break things...

Yikes, my friend. Those weights were to balance the converter to itself. Weights shown in post 3 show the weights that would normally be removed if weights are to be removed going from external balance to neutral balance

Called 2 shops...torque can be saved and we just have to put the weight back , it was a 10* the smallest of the weight that can be welded there and to fix it at home wont do any arm

Called 2 shops...torque can be saved and we just have to put the weight back , it was a 10* the smallest of the weight that can be welded there and to fix it at home wont do any arm
Just to be on the safe side, drain the convertor before you weld it back on- getting hot ATF burped out on yourself is not going to make yourself happier.

Should never take off the side weights. It balances the converter itself regardless of what engine it winds up going behind.

-
Back