New Trunk Lock

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I just installed a high security replaceable core lock in the trunk, I know its a small thing outwardly, but you wont get past this one with a screwdriver and a hammer.
Andrew

trunk lock 002.jpg

No, but I can get past it with a can of refrigerant and a hammer. :toothy10: Just joking.

It'll definately deter those who are used to the old screwdriver/punch and hammer trick.

Interesting! Tell us more, will you? What specific lock did you use, how did you adapt it (and seal it against water entry) to the hole, etc.?

I used A high security "Best" cylinder. I turned the face to bevel it. I milled two large flats on the body to create a "double D" shape. I then made a template and enlarged and reshaped the existing hole with a dremmel and carbide burr. I took the old actuation shaft off of the original lock and drilled the shaft of the Best, and joined them with a cotter pin. I re-tapped the back of the lock body to accept 1/4-20 and used the collars and plate that came with the cylinder to secure the back.
Ill use seam sealer when I reinstall the lock after paint for the water issue.

Ramenth,
I watch mythbusters too, the problem here is that there is almost two pounds of bronze surrounding the core, this one wont shatter:-D
Look if you want in the car badly enough youll throw a brick through the window. And yes a locksmith can still get in but this just makes it take more time.
Andrew

I used A high security "Best" cylinder. I turned the face to bevel it. I milled two large flats on the body to create a "double D" shape. I then made a template and enlarged and reshaped the existing hole with a dremmel and carbide burr. I took the old actuation shaft off of the original lock and drilled the shaft of the Best, and joined them with a cotter pin. I re-tapped the back of the lock body to accept 1/4-20 and used the collars and plate that came with the cylinder to secure the back.
Ill use seam sealer when I reinstall the lock after paint for the water issue.

Ramenth,
I watch mythbusters too, the problem here is that there is almost two pounds of bronze surrounding the core, this one wont shatter:-D
Look if you want in the car badly enough youll throw a brick through the window. And yes a locksmith can still get in but this just makes it take more time.
Andrew

Mythbusters? My old man drove truck for a living. How do you think the idiots used to get into trailers? (I like the old Master Lock commercial where they shot the lock. Yep, didn't come open, but a prybar worked wonders!) :-D
But you just pointed out the idea of any security system, be it good locks, car alarms, etc. It takes time to mess with a good one. And if you're listening (for the sound of shattered glass) then that's the extra time you have to be headed out the door to bring a beat down on the %*^&*&%.

This lock will definately leave someone standing there shaking his head wondering, "what the hell!" when he's been used to ones every other car has. Too much of a hassle, let's move on to the next one.

I think it's a great idea. Anytime you can slow someone with malicious intent down and make it a hassle, the chances are he'll move on down the line, because the less dumb ones will understand that increases the odds of getting caught.

Now figure out how to wrap the factory bezel around one to appease the "factory look" crowd and sell 'em!

-
Back