New VS Old 340 6-pack

-

fastnos

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some searching on different sites for a 340 6pack setup. The new ones do not come with a Idle solenoid. The new dealers say it isn't required anymore, but they don't say why. My question is what exactly is different between the old set up and the new one as to why the new one doesn't need the solenoid? Different Idle curcuits? Better Quality Control standards? ...or ? Thanks, JOE

If I'm not mistaken the "NEW" 340 6-pack crates are stroked engines (410 CI). As for the solenoid...couldn't tell ya, if I was doing it over again I'd wait for this crate engine instead of building my 360.

I believe the idle solenoid when energized opens up the butterflies to the idle setpoint. When the solenoid is deenergized by turning the key off, the butterflies close completely and helps prevent engine run on.

I have an old six pack and have not ran an idle solenoid for over 15 years and have had no problems with run on so I don't know if it is really necessary.

Rod

I'm only talking about the Intake, Carbs, Linkage, Air cleaner, lines, ect.. that you buy as a package deal for the Small blocks. I think only the small blocks had the soleniod from the factory, no big blocks. (I could be wrong) No one can tell me for certain, from the parts depts of all the places, what caused the change. ? Thanks for any insight you might be able to shed on this question.

I have a 6 bbl. on my small block and it never had the solenoid either. But then again, I never had my car running long, or good, enough to really sort it all out.

Maybe this year..... :thumbup:

FASTBACK340 said:
I have a 6 bbl. on my small block and it never had the solenoid either. But then again, I never had my car running long, or good, enough to really sort it all out.

Maybe this year..... :thumbup:

Me neither, I hope in a couple of months though. I've always wondered about that solenoid too.

Lee

Not sure if this applies - but solenoids were used with AC cars as well to bump the RPM when the AC compressor was running with the engine at idle.

Ive never used them on my cars.

rklein383 said:
I believe the idle solenoid when energized opens up the butterflies to the idle setpoint. When the solenoid is deenergized by turning the key off, the butterflies close completely and helps prevent engine run on.

I have an old six pack and have not ran an idle solenoid for over 15 years and have had no problems with run on so I don't know if it is really necessary.

Rod

This is exactly what the solenoid is for, it is called an anti-dieseling solenoid.

66dartgt, you are right solenoids were also used to compensate for rpm drop on A/C equipped cars but in the case of the 6-pack or 6-barrel cars you could not get A/C. So you were right that it probably does not apply to this.

Chuck

Solenoids were used as a crutch to compensate for the "emissions friendly" tuning at the time. Less initial advance and greater throttle blade opening tends to make an engine run cleaner at idle, but also leads to run-on. With a "performance" oriented tune up, the solenoid is not needed nor desired (unless you have a/c)

Just wanted to pass this along. I was in contact with Glendora Dodge a couple of days ago. They have been advertising the small block 6 pack from Mopar Performance for $1685, where most others advertise it at about $1850. They said that as of the first of the year Chrysler has raised the price. Glendora now wants $1970 for it. :banghead: They said that Chrysler applies the prices to all factory dealers and that it applies to merchandise that Mopar dealers already have in stock. They said that aftermarket dealers like Jegs & Summit are free to sell what they have in stock at the old prices, & suggested that I could probably find a better deal through an aftermarket source. I was about ready to order but now I might have to wait a while. :sad2: If anybody knows of somebody who is selling at the old prices, I might be interested.

:burnout:

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]I was about ready to order.........[/QUOTE]

I gotta say, nothing beats the reaction people have when they see it. I can't tell you how many times I would pop the hood on my roach and people would be like " Holy ****....a SIX PACK!" Not to mention the kick in the *** 6 barrels sucking high test produces....
6BBL-vi.jpg

Yeah... the power of multiple carbs.

I've wanted one for 30 years! Even if it ran like ****, I'd want it! Just for the WOW factor!

Many years ago, my Mopar friend Morris worked at a Pizza Hut with a guy who had about a 1970 Nova with a small block. I can't remember his name, so I'll call him "Bob".

One day Bob, who knew nothing about cars, comes in to see Morris at work. "Look at what I bought!" he says & shows Morris a used tunnel ram (I think it was a dual quad) that he had bought at the local speed shop.

Morris asks him what he's going to do with it & he says "I'm gonna' put it on my Nova." He then said something about girls goin' for guys with "hot cars" with carbs poking through the hood. :roll: Then Morris asks him "What kind of cam are you going to use?"

"Cam?" says Bob, "What's that?" :tool:

Morris tells him "You go home & put that on your car & try it out & then come back & we'll talk about what kind of cam you need to run."

Well, they talk it over & one thing leads to another & they decide to pull the motor & rebuild it, since they're gonna' change the cam anyway. Then they have to cut the hood for the manifold to stick through it. Well, now Bob needs a hood scoop, so they put one on. That looks like crap with the scoop a different color than the car, so they decide to repaint the car. After it's painted, Bob drives it for a while & decides he can't live with a tunnel ram, so he pulls it & switches to a performance single four manifold. So now he has a car with new paint, rebuilt motor, & hood scoop, all because of a manifold he's taken off of the car. :tard: I don't know if he ever got any girls. :munky2:

There's no moral here, I just like telling that story.

q
6BBL-vi.jpg

[/QUOTE]
awh that looks so dam good, maybe i should go the 6 pack route, you guys said its now $1900 with everything? intake, carbs, filter, lid, decal, linkage?

Glendora Dodge parts department told me "You get the manifold, 3 carbs, carb to manifold gaskets, air cleaner, air cleaner to carb gaskets, throttle cable, fuel lines, coil bracket, interconnecting linkage, throttle cable bracket, and clips." $1970.00 plus shipping, which for me is $32.00.

It just bugs me that I waited about a week too long & now it looks like it's going to cost me almost $300!

-
Back