New wheels/Tires before New engine installation?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Regarding leveling the engine during installation, I’m just wondering what the general thinking is about having your ride stance set before installing a new engine.

The car (69 Barr) currently has an old set of roller wheels (original 14”) and Tires (26” tall all the way around).

The wheel/tire combo I’m thinking about will be about 1” (255/60r15 - 27”) taller in back and 1” (215/60r15 - 25.2”) shorter in front.

Should I finish and install the engine, or purchase the wheel/Tires first? Or, doesn’t it matter all that much for my setup?

Get your tires and wheels on the car to set the ride height. You will need the weight of the motor and transmission in the car,as well as the hood, another 50 lbs there, and all the fluids including full tank of gas. I dont understand what you mean by levelling the engine, are you doing a custom set of mounts to lower the motor into the car? You will adjust the torsion bars accordingly so the tire doesnt rub, and you get the look you want. I ended up adding 1.5" lowering blocks on the rear end, as my springs have a 6-5/8" arch.

There is no standard way to level an engine. Changing the level of the car will make little to no difference to the engine.

The main thing that needs to be level is the left to right tilt of the engine, theres a pretty good amount of adjustment by tweaking the engine on the mounts to adjust it.

The main thing that needs to be level is the left to right tilt of the engine, theres a pretty good amount of adjustment by tweaking the engine on the mounts to adjust it.

Yeah, mainly left to right is what I was wondering about, and also wondering if there was any front to back shimming that needed to be done (similar to left/right tilt). It makes sense to me that left to right will be my primary concern. Thanks for the help everyone!

Left to right or level on the perpendicular plane should be fine, the engine will sit where it wants to on a parallel plane according to the engine and trans mounts. I like it level left to right just to know the engine mounts arent in a bind and the motor isnt in there tilted on the perpendicular axis.

-
Back