New wiring harness difficulties.

-

lakai304

Reaction score
Hello everyone im not only new to the page but pretty new to the building my own car thing and very new to wiring.. so that being said I have a 1971 dart original 318 but I put a 360 in. I purchased a new engine harness from Evans wiring i unhooked my old and one plugged in everything where it goes as to my knowledge. But the second I touched my positive terminal to my battery it completely fried my fusible link coming off my bulkhead connector. Now I have sense replaced the fusible link with just a fuse holder witch someone else told me is better and same thing it pops the fuse the second I give it power here are some pictures of how I have everything wired up any ideas I know it must be a short somewhere or something I just like I said don't know enough to even know where to start.

20221016_112419.jpg

20221016_112745.jpg

20221016_112428.jpg

20221016_112425.jpg

This does not look right.

Disconnect the black wire and then check the post for short to ground.

Screenshot_20221016-193404.png

This is what you should be seeing.
16659709149389183465416678012159.jpg

And when the wire is on the post this is about the amount of thread that should be exposed.

16659710169054046605589850551293.jpg

Last edited:
Some alternators have a black shield around the post, but not all.

Blue = white plastic insulator

Red = jam nut to lock insulator and post in place

Green = nut to lock the black wire eyelet to the post.

Screenshot_20221016-195140.png

Some alternators have a black plastic cover over the post.

Blue arrow

Screenshot_20221016-195708.png

Some alternators have a black shield around the post, but not all.
Yes but has nothing to do with grounding, it just goes around the stud, probably more to keep you from hitting it with a wrench or something, just a guard.

An alternator I got recently for a project had a grounding stud, the power post is on the bottom out of the picture.
2021-11-16_005.jpg

Alan

Yes but has nothing to do with grounding, it just goes around the stud, probably more to keep you from hitting it with a wrench or something, just a guard
I agree, I was just pointing out that some have it, some don't.

When I first saw the OPs photo I thought it was a grounding post too.

Thanks everyone that was the problem I took that ground off the alt and put a new fuse in and she has power now and didn't blow it so ill get a plastic washer to go over that. I appreciate the help.

It's not Just a plastic washer it also centers the post. Without the propper washer the post could move and short again.

Screenshot_20221016-205457.png

This statement confuses me.

Thanks everyone that was the problem I took that ground off the alt

That black wire is not a ground, it is the charge wire from the alternator to the car then ultimately to the battery.

I assume it was grounding the output of the alternator to the alternator housing the way it was attached which would also ground the entire car wiring system causing the fusable link to blow.

BTW a fuse CAN work in place of a fusable link BUT a fusable link can handle a lot of excess current for a short amount of time without damage. Typical fuses blow fast, not what you want in that cir

Plus what amp fuse did you put in?

I would get a propper fusable link

It's not Just a plastic washer it also centers the post. Without the propper washer the post could move and short again.

View attachment 1715999186

This statement confuses me.

That black wire is not a ground, it is the charge wire from the alternator to the car then ultimately to the battery.

I assume it was grounding the output of the alternator to the alternator housing the way it was attached which would also ground the entire car wiring system causing the fusable link to blow.

BTW a fuse CAN work in place of a fusable link BUT a fusable link can handle a lot of excess current for a short amount of time without damage. Typical fuses blow fast, not what you want in that cir

Plus what amp fuse did you put in?

I would get a propper fusable link
Thank you and I will now that I know the problem and once I get it all running correctly ill put a link back in.

-
Back