New yellow cap repro battery is JUNK??

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just started the 416 stroker. Ran it about 6 times to break the cam in. I bought a brand new repro yellow cap maintenance free battery. Started the car yeaterday and when I tried to fire her up today, nothing. Checked voltage at battery 5.4volts. I am told a battery that low is probably junk? Funny how it started fine every time over the past week or so and then just to JUNK? I have a mini starter and also an MSD6AL box with MSD distributor. I also bypassed the ampmeter using the MAD wiring. So now the heavy wire from the alternator goes direct to the positive battery post. Engine is a beast with lots or vibration. Thinking about getting an Optimum yellow top? Has anybody here had issues with those repro batteries. I am being told that the battery I have may have some fried plates inside but it is brand new?? I bought it a year ago and kept it on a maintenance charge.

If it worked fine until installed and used i wonder if you have a slight ground
somewhere that slowly took your battery down?
..disconnect it and charge it and see if it stays charged (don't re-install for a couple of days)

Put a test light between the negative terminal and battery cable. If it lights, you have a current draw. You can remove one fuse at a time until the light goes out and there's the offending circuit.

Or, if it fails to go out from the fuses, start disconnecting things. Alternator, starter, etc.

Put a test light between the negative terminal and battery cable. If it lights, you have a current draw. You can remove one fuse at a time until the light goes out and there's the offending circuit.

Or, if it fails to go out from the fuses, start disconnecting things. Alternator, starter, etc.
OK. I pulled the negative cable. Took my test light probe and touched the negative post and touched the other end of the probe to the removed negative cable and the test light did not light at all? Is that what you mean? I just tested the battery voltage again after my charger was on for a while. It appears to be up to 9.5 volts now. So I removed both cables from the battery and just left the charger to go all night? I was working on the wiring last night and I am wondering if I left the ignition switch in the on position all night. Would that cause the battery to go to 5.6 volts overnight?

Yup. That's what I mean. You understood perfectly. Sounds like there is no draw at least.

But to answer your question you posted, no, a battery can be pulled all the way flat and still be recharged just fine.

That doesn't mean yours is good though, although it may be.

Yup. That's what I mean. You understood perfectly. Sounds like there is no draw at least.

But to answer your question you posted, no, a battery can be pulled all the way flat and still be recharged just fine.

That doesn't mean yours is good though, although it may be.

I will just let her charge overnight. See if it is ok in the morning. I still have a lot of loose ends electrically to tie up such as lights ect, but they should not be a problem if they are not hooked up?

I will just let her charge overnight. See if it is ok in the morning. I still have a lot of loose ends electrically to tie up such as lights ect, but they should not be a problem if they are not hooked up?

I don't see why they would be.

check to make sure it is not low on water, I know it is "maintenance free". charge it gently. ran it 6 times to break in the cam?

I'd bet something was on, as new batteries usually don't just suddenly go bad after being fine.
Seen it before but it's rare.

I'd bet something was on, as new batteries usually don't just suddenly go bad after being fine.
Seen it before but it's rare.

YES indeed. I think I left the ignition key on when I left the garage the night before. As I charged the battery and it is now fine. As a matter of fact I have it for sale on here if anyone wants it. It is brand new and I am going to do a yellow optima because of all the accessory wires I have to put on the battery. The optima has both top and side mount terminals to place accessory wires and grounds. With the electronics and msd stuff, I think the repro battery is better suited for someone who is building a correct resto. So I guess my battery is not junk. Maybe I should not leave the ignition key on. LOL......

-
Back