Newb Oil Filter Question

-
I’m currently removing my TTI headers and going with Sanderson DD9’s. This will allow me to run the filter straight to the block.

I did buy a Mopar Performance Aluminum 90 adapter, flat sanded for better sealing but will not install it now.

I’m not removing the headers strictly for the oil filter issue…on these early A-body cars there is simply no room for anything with full length headers.

Truer words have not been spoken. The early A's have no room for anything. Still my favorite cars though.

I’m currently removing my TTI headers and going with Sanderson DD9’s. This will allow me to run the filter straight to the block.

I did buy a Mopar Performance Aluminum 90 adapter, flat sanded for better sealing but will not install it now.

I’m not removing the headers strictly for the oil filter issue…on these early A-body cars there is simply no room for anything with full length headers.
I did not think that Mopar Performace made the correct angled one for early A Body.
I have a few stock iron ones here early A.
The Later A ( and F,M,J,E,B etc) bodies use same angle as the over counter aluminium ones.
They are not the same angle.
Only reason I changed to aluminium was I wanted to shine it up to have more bling since I have other polished stuff. And was also easier to blend the port.
I have never seen a cast iron one leak with new gaskets installed right.
Did see one guy said was warped aluminium and many guys did not put gaskets on right leak.
Not to say they never made bad ones this is what Ma Mopar the crappy Direct Connection and Mopar Performance parts seller.
God knows in late 70s, 80s and early 90s they sold crap and said race parts as is.

The bolt. With the 90° adaptor you have an extra sealing surface under the head of the bolt, for a total of 3.

View attachment 1716217199

Without the adaptor you only have 2, the filter and the gasket under the plate.

I honestly don't give a crap about the rest of it. Plenty of magnum engines have gone 200k+ with the shorter filter. Hell I have 170k+ on the 5.9 in my Dakota. Not worried about it at all.
I agree. And guys will put a crappy PH8A Fram long ( 5.75"?)
And think it is better than a mid size ( 4" ?) K&N or Wix Gold or even Sliver.
My 2002 (last year?) ram van 3500 5.9 had over 250,000 miles on it and used mid lengthy filters
Only got rid of it as trans went out. Ran very, very well but smoked on 1st start up and under full mash of loud peddle. Got 10-12 mpg was worse thing about it.

I've always run the biggest filter I can fit. I run the Motorcraft FL299 2 quart filter on the Valiant and on my Ford truck. More oil is always better.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.37.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Probably means I bought an aluminum 90 adapter that won’t fit my early A-body…lol, still learning

Running TTI's on my 360LA... full size Wix 51515 right to the block w/o issues. Also installed one of those Lava oil filter heatshields because why not.

-
Back