Newb Scamp Story Time

-

LaBamba

Reaction score
I joined a couple weeks ago looking for parts, and stumbled into the welcome wagon (which doesn’t hurt as bad as falling off)! I figured I should introduce myself since I have been gleaning all kinds of great info off the site, in addition to finding some parts.

My daughter was attending school in Wisconsin, and her classmate decided not to return at the end of the summer. That meant that the Dutch Brothers Special (aka the Bomb, or La Bomber, or La Bamba) 1974 Scamp wasn’t going to make the trip back to Oregon and was up for sale, $700 as is, custom right rear bodywork included. It did run, she didn’t like bumming rides from friends just to go to the store, and she liked the classic look of it.

Some of her male classmates looked at the car, and their assessment was ball joints and suspension were shot, rear main leaks, body damage, drive over 36.517 mph and the wheels will fall off, etc. I reminded her it was cheap transportation for around town. Plus it had a 318 so of course I bought it for her to use!
One year later she is ready to move onto other things and save some money, so the Scamp was once again sitting lonely and abandoned in Wisconsin. I tried to sell it, would only get offers for salvage yard prices, so I decided I would bring the Scamp home to Colorado.

It wouldn’t start. My daughter’s boyfriend changed the dead battery and it still wouldn’t start. It was running when she left, so I went ahead and flew to WI on a Friday to pick it up. Pressured up the gas tank to get fuel to the carb and she fired right up. He probably thought I was insane based on the condition of the car when I drove out of town Saturday morning bound for Colorado. However, the brakes were good, the tires fair (studded snow tires on the rear), and I wasn’t tooooooo worried.

So, I tightened the bungee cord holding the trunk closed and floated down the road to Colorado on the worn out suspension (with broken leaf in the right rear spring pack, and nearly nonexistent shocks) and clunky rear end with no problems. She drove smooth, strong, and straight all the way home and across the continental divide. The small vibration at about 75mph worked like a cruise control and would remind me to back off a little from the skinny pedal. My leg wasn’t even that tired at the end of two days. (I had a 74 duster with a 225 that I drove from Columbus, GA to Clarksville, TN. My legs burned the entire way and I remember switching feet on the gas, sometimes using both!) Only problem I encountered was I lost the original gas cap in Grand Island, NE (D’oh!). I was ticked, but certainly wasn’t going back for it.

My daughter was presently surprised that I arrived home Sunday afternoon. Safe, sound, on time, with only a sunburned left arm to show for my troubles. I am excited about the new project and see lots of potential. I just hope my abilities (and wallet) are up to the task. I’m looking forward to learning from the FABO members’ vast experience. Thanks.

View attachment Scamp LR.jpg

View attachment Scamp Rear.jpg

Let me welcome you to this great site and congratulations on a great voyage trouble free.

Welcome! Aside from yours being a '74 and having some rear end damage,
Your car is identical to mine! I have a '75 with the exact color combo.

Welcome! Aside from yours being a '74 and having some rear end damage,
Your car is identical to mine! I have a '75 with the exact color combo.

Thanks for the welcomes. I like the color combo - it screams classic 1970's – they don’t make a lot of cars with a dark green vinyl interior anymore! It probably needs a new quarter panel, tailpiece, and trunk pan at a minimum, plus the accessories (lights, bumpers, etc.). I found a bumper and tail lights from a ’75 valiant. I don’t have the money for the sheet metal right now. However, I was amazed at the improvements you can make with a hammer, a jack, and a winch when pulling out a crushed and crumpled quarter. The trunk lid almost fits correctly now and I should be able to get the light to bolt up with another couple hours of work. It will at least be street legal drivable then, even if it looks a little rough.

Good luck with it, post some after sheet metal massaging pictures.

Baptism by fire,what Mopar does best.Hello from one Bamba,to another.

Hey, I'd keep the car and show the daughter what a little TLC and time can do for an older classic. JMHO

Welcome. Keep the car is sounds as though that car is jammed packed full of memories! Pull our that 1/4 and you will have room for plenty more! Glad to have you here with us.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316
[email protected]

-
Back