Newbe quick question

-

ryansiki

Reaction score
So I'm starting to get ready to remove the steering column from my valiant(75') and am wondering how to remove that metal piece that connects the shift linkage to the column. What's the best way to go about removing it? Thanks

pictures would be great! but if its the part I'm thinking of in the engine compartment then just pull that little pin out, and there you go.

Ok so I removed the shift linkage from the steering column in the engine compartment, but now it seems that there is something I have to remove near the steering box. Any clue what it is?

Finally got my camera. Here's a pic. So what do I have to remove now to get the steering column free?

Attachments

• IMG_9862.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 105
You need to remove the drift pin that is holding the coupler to the steering box.

Attachments

• IMG_9862.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 101
Use a drift punch of the correct diameter. Using a large enough hammer the first time will save damage the to the pin, punch, and your fingers. Make sure if the roll pin is stepped you push it out from the small diameter side. Taking the steering coupler apart because you can't get the roll pin out is NOT the right way!

Just tried getting the roll pin out. Heated it up with a propane torch,sprayed some Liquid Wrench, and used a drift punch. Ended up breaking the drift punch. Might have to drill it out. Even browsed a couple threads on FABO related to the steering coupler. I hate steering couplers......... :banghead::cussing::cussing:

OK I made this drawing just to make sure I'm pounding it out the right way. Gonna pick up a roll pinch punch tomorrow hopefully. A or B???

Attachments

• hhh.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 75
-
Back