newbe

-

Britfish

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

My names Sully, actually its John Sullivan but I go by Sully.
Anyway, I'm new to the site so please forgive me if I go astray.

I've been into Barracudas for more years than I'd like to admit too but hey they are my fav in regards to A-bodies and 68's in particular really turn my crank!

It seems I'am a sucker for things different, like driving from the wrong side of the car.

Thats right baby, the right side is the right way for me.

You guessed it, I've got a RHD Barracuda and to top it off, its a ragtop!
Brought it over from the UK in 1997 but had known about this one since 1995.

Truth be told I've been kinda looking for one since I saw one on the streets of London back in 84 which btw was not this one. Its quite a different feeling to drive to say the least but it sure was an adventure to drive when it first arrived.

Its been sitting in my garage for some 9 years and I've finally broke down and got into a shop to at least get most if not all the bodywork done. Don't mind if thtas all I get done in the next few years as its been a project in waiting for quite sometime anyway.

I'am in the middle of looking for L/R outter wells and trunk extensions. Already got quarters but its the little things sheetmetal wise that are driving me bonkers to locate, at least in new form.

Also looking for convertible parts, actually sheetmetal sections around the base of the rear (each corner that is).

If anyone can help please let me know by contacting me at 425-220-8663.

Thanks,

progress is slow going but well worth the effort I'd say!

Welcome to the group Sully. I for one would love to see some pictures of your car. Here is a little info I have saved from a post on the barracuda owners group that you may find helpful. The outer wheelhouses are not available. At one time they did make them but from what I heard the quality and fit was very poor and they discontinued them. Your only option at this time is to find some off a parts car or fab them yourself. The convertible specific partts will also have to come from a parts car or be fabbed. As for the trunk extentions see below.

"Dart/Duster trunk extensions are the correct length, just
too wide on the aft end. I modified by taking a pie shape
cut out, front to back. Have heard of cutting along one edge
and removing material. That leaves only one weld seam."

Welcome, You need to get a hold of member Tweety who also has 2 wrong hand drive Barracuda's

Hey thanks for the welcome! Look forward to being a member in good standing.

I was afraid about the outers not being available but luckly all I need is the lower rear radius. As for the trunk extensions, figured it was the Darts but wasn't sure, so thxs for that info.

I've got tons of pics so i'll get them up in the photo garage shortly.

Regarding Tweety, where is this member located? here in the States or the UK?

What I'am looking to do is go with a rhd rack up front for now and in the future doing the coil in place of the TB setup.

I know this is a departure from stock but its just going to make for a more enjoyable ride when its all done. Britfish is a family member in my eyes so for us its about safety,
drivablity and fun.

She's not going anywhere so the changes are good with me.

A little history:

1968 Barracuda Convertible
AA1 code exterior w/maroon interior
Buckets w/console
Black power top
318 w/2-bbl (for now)
727 TF
8 3/4 rear
4 -piston KH up-front
Drums in back (changing to discs)

sequench #'s :0000023

Its an August 67 build date so it pre-dates even the pilot(barracudas) which I thought was pretty cool. Cars got a lot of history from its prior owner who I found out really loved her. He's no longer alive but when I spoke to his widow before her passing she said it was the one thing that made him the happiest in his later years.

Its nice to know that I'll be keeping his baby alive and healthy for the future. She had it rough in the years after his passing.......poor thing.

But wait till its done, oh thats right, they're never done.

Welcome Sully, ICE Braker...I never though about the right side or left side being right or wrong. (that's a mouth full) I take it your right handed? So does that mean North Americans can shift quicker :toothy7: :salut:

pic4.JPG

You're North American too, you tell me. Thankfullly I yank with the right and shift with the left so its not an issue......hehehe

Britfish said:
You're North American too, you tell me. Thankfullly I yank with the right and shift with the left so its not an issue......hehehe

Dah....I missed noting your from Washington. :color: thought UK...I get your pun however. Need more :drinkers:

Yes a few RHD Barracudas did turn up in the UK, Do you know where they were made?
South Africa also assembled RHD "Valiant" (not Plymouth) 67/68 Barracudas too. I wish they did them here too.
As far as shifting with your left hand, you just get use to it, and no, you dont have to be left handed :thumblef: .
I'm sure we can shift gears just as quick as a LHD driver can, tho I must admit the 2nd the 3rd gear change does take some practice, because it is moving towards your body not away from it like LHD. Still....you guys HAD to be different to the British didnt you. :salut:
Look at pictures of very early FORD cars (and most US manufacturers around the early 1900's) they were ALL RHD!!! Watch some old westerns too, 99% of them drove the carriages/Buggies from the RHS...apparently it was easier to reach your weapon Sword/pistol/musket and fight right handed, therefore from the RHS of the vehicle.
Just a little useless information for everyone whos cares to read it.

Welcome, Sully. I thank it's cool you have a RHD American car. Something different.

I did a year in Okinawa Japan, and it was weird just driving our LHD trucks on the wrong side of the road, but also driving their cars and vans RHD, on the wrong side of the road. You got used to it real fast. Funny thing was when I returned home it was realy difficult to drive on the right side again. :salut:

I hope everyone drives on the rightside of the road here in my area becouse us folks still play chicken and someones going to get hurt.I lerned more about bilding,driving and hiostory of these grate barracuda's. Top of the food chain thanks memike noutheast arkansas.

-
Back