Newbie "coming back home"....

-

Larry Word

Reaction score
I'm 55, my 1st car was a 1971 Plymouth Scamp w/ a S6 & 904 (I bet!); anyway I was a kid and it was a great, "square car" which I loved; however, I always said it needed a "large roll-back roof", open as one cruised the roadways...

Anyway...a lifetime (& 3 grown kids...) later, I want to take a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4-Door Quad Cab. truck w/ its larger 4.7l motor and its too complicated trans. & re-power (the 4.7 motor is dead - I bought the truck that way!)....it with a non-computer, carb. S6 and the "most modern manual trans. I can attached to my S6 set-up = reliable engine + bigger truck....B4 you say "too little engine" for that....

I've drive VW Vanagon for years so I'm used to under-powered cars. I drive a 4-cyl., 5-spd. Ford Ranger and my goal w/ this 2003 D. Ram is to make this larger truck ride much like the ranger does, while getting 26+ mpg and cruizing nicely at 70 mph on highway....

Anyway, I need some "expert advice from this group to avoid mis-steps" for my project - lots of ?'s
(1) I've purchased a 1983 D150 PU w/ 225 and 4-spd. manual trans. (removable bell housing) as the donor car for my 2003 project....so much for "most modern manual trans." but the 4-spd. IS a great, tough trans. - is there a better manual trans. that I can adapt to this 225 truck setup using a 225?
(2) I'm chasing a replacement 225 motor because the 1983 D150 has a "fist-sized hole" in its S6 block from a rod....but that block will be my "mock-up" eng/trans. mounting eng/trans. set-up and trans. appears good w/ new clutch.....Can I use a 226 car S6 from a 1968 Coronet car w/ a auto. trans.?
(3) I'm not going for power here - rather highest mpg......originally I was headed for a 4.3l Chevy v6 but I like/love in fact the non-computer aspects of the S6 and S6 were used to power some "big (fire) trucks & such" in the 1960.....
(4) I'd really rather have a 170 ci. S6 but you don't hear much about that motor these days. Is there anyway I might chase one of those down....any junkyards anyone would bother w/ on a 40-year old motor like that?

Anyway...I love "talking S6 motors" as they are simple, non-computered & "just fun"....

I'm glad there a "source" to keep these old great cars ON THE ROAD where they belong.....kinda like my water-cooled VW vanagon camper groups....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Larry
Gainesville, Ga

I don't know if I would do it, but it will be interesting to watch, subscribed....
Welcome to The Forum good luck and if there's any knowledge or experience I can help with I will.

-
Back