Newbie Dart Axle question

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
My first post of probably many. Been reading this excellant site and have a question.

Finally after many years I got another Mopar. Actually 2. Picked up a '73 Swinger parts car with a 318 2bbl and a '71 Swinger with a 225 slant 6. Both have 7.5 axles under them. The '73 is large bolt pattern of course.

Question is, to get the large bolt pattern that the '73 has on to the '71 can you just swap the axles and brakes or do you have to swap the whole rear end between the two cars? If just the axles and brakes can be done how hard is it to do? What is involved/anyone done one?

Only ask about going this way as I know the 7.5 in the '71 is good as the car runs and drives fine. The '73 internals are unknown as the car is not currently running and driving.

Will be doing the small bolt pattern front disc brake to the large bolt disc brake swap off the '73 and want to match the bolt pattern for the rear.

Would actually perfer an 8.25 for the back, but as yet found none locally (ABQ, NM). Will need one when I get ready to do the V8 swap in the '71.

Any help is appreciated.

You could most likley swap the axles and brakes but its probably just as easy to swap the rears over,

look into doing a ford 8.8 swap...will hold 450hp and can get it with a trac loc and discs ;-)... look from a 96-99 explorer....if you don't care about disc you can go back til like 1990...if you're interested on how to do it...do a search..or pm me and i'll give you more in depth details ;-)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should at least pull the cover on the bbp one and see if I see anything untoward. Also will help in finding out what the ratios in each are. Just know the '71 has a good running one in it just not sure about the '73 one.

I'd read a few posts on the Ford Ranger rear end. Seemed like there were issues with having to narrow one side to align the pinion and then getting an axle to fit etc. is that right? Not concerned with discs in the back etc. Just trying to keep things more of a bolt on and thought that the 8 1/4 would hold up to a mildish small block streeter okay. I've read where, apart from making sure you get the U bolts and spring plates for and 8 1/4 and having the drive shaft shortened by 1.5" that the rear will just bolt on. What was involved with your Ford rear swap? I probably should put in here that I'll most likely keep more of a highway type gear in the back. Was thinking 3.23 max. Do you know what the Fords have available?

The 7.5 to 7.5 swap would be while we drive the slant 6 as the pull, build and swap of the V8 will most likely take a good while and be done as funds allow. The 7.5 should be fine behind a stock slant 6, but would like the 8.25 (or the Ford???) in prep for when the swap does come about.

Hi all, thanks for the input so far. Found a site that stated that the early and later 7.5's had different bearings or something and the axles were different all together and not swappable.

Was set to do the swap of the complete 7.5 for the complete big bolt 7.5 when I lucked into an 8.25 complete at the local self serve wrecking yard. It is an open rear, but it does have 3.21's in it. From what I've seen that must have been a pretty popular ratio. Anyway, it is out of an A body so apart from shortening the drive shaft I should have a bolt right in.

Thanks for all the posts.
Cheers

Moparbrit, Try talking to sixpack performance, Art is the owner and he got me a 8 3/4 a-body rear. I told him I was looking for one and about 1.5 months later he called me up and had found one for a decent price(400$ drum to drum). I live in rio rancho, Also check the classified section of the new mexico mopar club, sometimes you"ll find stuff there too. Good luck.

oops, didn't see your last post, good score on the 8 1/4.

We are actually in Rio Rancho too. Put ABQ as most have not heard of RR.

Good to know another Moparite is in the same area.

Got the 8.25 cleaned up, gears looked at and new oil in and rebuilt the brakes on it. Now just need to get it swapped in. Only two stickers on it for me and that is I need to get a new brake hose for it (something like $35!! for it and order only at AZ, Checker etc. Need to recheck NAPA and see if they can get one). I also need to have the drive shaft shortened by what I've read here. Been checking this AM as it seems like I need to have it shortened by 1.5 inches. Just want to double check before doing the job. Car is a /6 right now with a 904 and 7.5 rear. Swapping that 8.25 in for the strength and larger bolt pattern and going to drive it on the /6 for a while. Any suggestions on a place to do the driveshaft?

Am I okay with having it shortened by 1.5 inch so I can bolt all in at once?

All going into a '71 Dart.

Thanks for any help.

-
Back