Newbie Dumb Diff question

-

Mopartist

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest; I know VERY little about differentials. My project is a 1965 Dodge Dart slant 6 car. My plan is to transplant a 360 small block with a 904 tranny. At first; I was just going to go with an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end with Sure grip. Since the car is so small; I would relocate the leaf spring mounts inward 3 inches; and have the perches on the rear end moved to accomodate. So far; it makes sense to me. I also would have the rear end and axles shortened to accomodate the "tubbed" wheel wells; thus making plenty of room for larger tires.
Now to the point: OK; so i pick up a copy of the Nickle Ads for my locality and there sits an ad for a Dana 60 rear end with 410s for $100.
So my question is quite candidly; Can I use this? Is it a good price? Or were certain Dana's meant for certain car makes? I only recognize the name Dana 60 from being around hot rodders for much of my life; but I have never switched diffs before. So whats the deal? I haven't called the ad yet; mostly because I didn't want to sound stupid. I'm ignorant; but not stupid :book:

Not a dumb question at all.

Dana 60's were used in a wide variety of vehicles including alot of trucks. More than likely this is what you are seeing advertised for that low of a price but what the heck, why not call, you might get lucky. I will say if you don't need a Dana (i.e. You have alot of H.P.) a 8-3/4 will do you better because it's alot lighter and will eat up less horsepower. Now if your running 600+ HP a Dana is definetly in order.

To answer your question about rearends being meant for specific vehicles, yes there were certain types used in different vehicles from the factory but that don't mean you can't use any type you want in your car. Lots' of guys use Ford 9" rears in Chevy's and Mopars cause they're a dime a dozen and tough. It's just a matter of how much money and work you want to put into making it fit in it.

pLUS A $100 FOR A DANA 60 WITH 4.10 GEARS IS A steal ...IF NOTHING ELSE GRAB IT FOR THER PROFIT POTENTIAL quick!!!

-
Back