Newbie needing info -- 440/4spd into 71 Demon?

-

jayhawkerofku

Reaction score
Okay, i've read through a bunch of threads on there and have seen a ton of information on this build which is awesome -- thanks to everyone for that!

I have a 71 340 Demon that I plan on doing stock, meaning stock exterior and stock interior with the exception of a pistol grip in-between the buckets. I have a 71 440 6pak long block which needs to be rebuilt and both e/b body 4speeds.

So my questions include:

I'm looking to get a minimum of 500hp out of my six pak, i'm hoping to come across a set of a-body 440 manifolds to keep from doing any major mods, and yes, im keeping the six pak on top rather than a 4bbl, so what would i expect to spend on a rebuild like this?

I've read up on what to use transmission wise, but havent found a clear cut answer yet -- in terms of a 4speed, what should I be looking for? Most likely an 18 spline, but from what?

Lastly, it seems like a lot of people are saying to stay Away from 8 3/4's and just put in a Dana 60 --why? My Demon has a factory 8 3/4 with 3:91 sure grip gear setup in her, is that not going to be enough, or should I splurge for the Dana? If I choose the Dana 60, like the question above, what am I looking for when buying one?

Everything else seems to have already been decided -- big block radiator, torsion bars, have to have manual steering and brakes, etc. etc.

Thanks a bunch for any information! :toothy10:

All factory 440 four speed cars came with an 18-spline trans AND a Dana 60, but there are lots of cars running around with a 440 and a 23-spline and an 8-3/4, or a combination. If traction is limited you probably won't hurt an 8/34, we have around 35,000 miles on just that, an 8-3/4 behind a 440 and an 18-spline with no issues, but we also have no traction.

Now, for what trans you need. With parts getting expensive I would recommend going straight to Passon Performance and buying an a-body 18-spline outright from them. Unless you have all the parts lying around to build one you'll spend their price on questionable parts and still have to put it together yourself.

I agree with Jim above, I would go get a new or known good trans. I think a 23 spline trans and a 8 3/4 will hold up with the big block on street tires. But if you have to purchase a trans go with the 18 spline.
As far as exhaust manifolds go, the A body ones sell for a lot and aren’t that readily available so I would go with the Schumacher’s, ( http://www.engine-swaps.com/ ) no mods and no low hanging tubes real easy to install.

I do believe the Schumacher headers will not fit out of the box with an a-body 4-speed set up. But I have talked to Accurate and they are modifying the schumacher headers to work with 4-speeds..extra cost to rework. So this would make these more expensive than the factory manifolds. I believe the factory manifold are selling around the $650 mark. At least that is what I paid for mine. As far as TTI headers go, be careful, they said that they would work with a 383 4 speed set up in my Dart. But no way did they fit! I had to cut up my z-bar and relocate the down leg over a couple of inches to clear one of the pipes. Also I am running an 8 3/4. I fugured that if it was good enough to put one behind a Hemi Superstock auto, than it has to be strong enough for the street! Just my opinion, but if you can afford the Dana, that is the way to go! I am installing a Strange Super 60 in my Dart behind my Hemi..........Good luck!

I'll take a look into Passon's 18 spline 4 speed!

The reason why I asked is I've got a few 18 spline 4speeds, one from a 70 b-body and a few from e-bodys so that's why I was curious if any of those would work? Plus they're already rebuilt.

I'm trying to keep a stock looking 440, so i'll just have to keep my eyes out for a set of original manifolds -- haven't seen any up for sale for a long time now though :(

Lastly -- I do NOT want to destroy my 8 3/4 3:91 setup in the Demon, it's factory to the car and in great shape still. So i'll go with a Dana 60, so what's my best bet on this setup? I want the car to go down track, but also want to be able to drive it around town to local shows ya know? So what Dana 60 do I go with, gear setup, etc.? Would a Dana out of a B or E body work better? I'm guessing i'll have to shorten the axles --- i've never messed with installing a Dana into an a-body so any info is appreciated

Thanks guys, i greatly appreciate this!

Lastly, it seems like a lot of people are saying to stay Away from 8 3/4's and just put in a Dana 60 --why? My Demon has a factory 8 3/4 with 3:91 sure grip gear setup in her, is that not going to be enough, or should I splurge for the Dana? If I choose the Dana 60, like the question above, what am I looking for when buying one?

Fear not! The 8 3/4 will do fine in all but the most radical street rides! Ran one in my '69 383 'Cuda D/S car with 8" slicks for YEARS and couldn't break it! Lord only knows I tried! Hooker fenderwell headrs (used to be # 5206) will work with the 4 speed, bur it means cutting your fenderwelss and I'm not thinking you want to do that. There are some old 413/383 manifolds that will get the motor in the car while you scrouge for the "good" manifolds. I'm one of the "bad guys" that pitched the manifolds from my factor 383 "A" body....Who knew?? Good luck with your ride and post some pics as you go.

If you already have an 18-spline then all you need is a LARGE OUTPUT NON-OD A-body four speed for the mainshaft and tail housing. The rest will swap.

-
Back