Newbie needing info please!

-

RaViNLuNeY

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 72 Dart Swinger. The car is in awesome shape, i'm the second owner (previous owner was a 65 y/o woman). It runs flawlessly and it's going to be my first project car. I purchased a super six (thank you again Olivier426Hemi!) that I'm going to build out since there are no built /6's running around my area and well, I like the idea of smokin stangs and rubbing it in their face!
Anyhow, my dilemma. I've been searching around and have seen a lot of info, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I still have the factory rims and hub caps on the car but I'd really like to switch over to a nice set of rims (specifically Cragar Smoothies), my dillema is I don't know what size to buy. 1 person told me 15x7 5x4.5', still another has said 15x7 5x4". I know I have the small bolt pattern but unfortunately at the moment that means nothing to me (i'm kind of assuming small bolt patter = 4" but you know what happens when you assume!)
If someone could point me in the right direction, including offset, I would greatly appreciate it.
Also a question that kind of goes along with this, did they make a small bolt patter 8 3/4 posi rear?

Thanks to all, this site kicks @$$!

T :binky:

yes you need 5X4" bolt patern. All A body 8-3/4" rears were small bolt patern. When they switched to 4.5" bolt on A bodies they also switched to 8-1/4" rears. I think a 15X7" rim will need a 4.25" or 4.5" backspacing.

Nice find! Let us see some pictures of that swinger. Up to 1972 you had the 5x4" bolt pattern with either disk brakes or drums. 1973 and up could have had the larger bolt pattern with the disk brakes.

-
Back