Newbie Ram Air Question

-

bluenotefan

Reaction score
I've done some googling, and found some opinions, but they just haven't been reassuring. How do the ram air, air-grabber, and shaker hoods work in a rain storm? Isn't there a risk of getting a bunch of water in the engine with these types of setups?

The factory boxes all have drains. Fact is, a little water down the intake never hurt anyone, as long as it isn't enough to hydrolock a motor.

If the filter gets wet, it can restrict air flow, especially if dirty, though.

A lot of the scoops (Airgrabber, shaker, etc...) can be closed to outside air to prevent that.

The factory boxes all have drains. Fact is, a little water down the intake never hurt anyone, as long as it isn't enough to hydrolock a motor.

If the filter gets wet, it can restrict air flow, especially if dirty, though.

2x... just cleans out the carbon!

Cool...thanks for the info. I'm not very good at drawing, but I hope to have some sketches done sometime this weekend that will show the idea I've got for my Barracuda's hood/intake. I look forward to hearing some input on my idea once I get it sketched out.

FWIW, I've seen some old Mopar "Highway Patrol" cars that had factory water/alcohol injection built in, and pissed right down the carb throat from the air cleaner lid.

FWIW, I've seen some old Mopar "Highway Patrol" cars that had factory water/alcohol injection built in, and pissed right down the carb throat from the air cleaner lid.

if your not running vac adv or have a second one you can plumb it to that...

I didn't get around to posting my hood idea over the weekend like I planned, but here it is. The hood is for my '65 Barracuda. The plan below uses the Power Bubble style scoops seen on the 69-70 Super Bee. The silver parts of the sketch are the underhood section which will funnel air into air cleaner assembly I intend to fab. What do you guys think? Do you think it will work? Should I worry about heat transfer from the headers/manifolds with this design?

photo_zps62603c7e.jpg

-
Back