Nice weekend at the Northern Nationals

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Annual booked in show at US131, have attended forever. Arrived late Friday afternoon, so missed the single time trial allotted to the PDRA “ Bracket Bash“ class. It’s an all run bracket class, allows delay boxes, so with me footbraking and mighty rusty, didn’t have high expectations at all, taking a knife to a gun fight.
Car ran alright, hot and humid, wasn’t expecting any record breaking passes.
Got my single time trial, had an 054 light, at least something to work with come eliminations. Car ran 6.71-6.72 all day. Has a bad flair shifting 2nd to third, talked to my tranny guy, hopeful readjusting band will fix it. It’s so bad it actually drags the car down on the shift. Car itself ran nicely.
Go up for first round, put a 70 on it, much faster guy in the other lane( 5.90), figure I am plenty safe, it’s gotten hotter, don’t want to play around on the big end, I go 008, Run 72 for the win. YEA, Survive first round.
Not a whole lot later we get called up again, I am paired with a tough local guy in his top bulb roaster dialed 5.02, I go trip zip on him..0007 for the win. I am in seventh heaven. I have the wait and see bye in the next round.
Schedule has our next round in between the pro shows which are supposed to be at 6 and 9. Bad wreck, couple oil downs pushed our next round back a ways.
We finally get called, my brother and a buddy are counting cars, darn, 12 left, no bye for me.
Go up, it’s dark now, put a 69 on it, ready to go, a win here I am at 6 cars and get a check, and maybe chance to do some unexpected major damage.
Not to be, I pooped the bed big time in front of a packed house, layed an -067 red bulb down. Damn, Don, what are you doing!
My opponent has a horrible light to add salt to the wound( think he peeked and saw me red in front of him)
All in all, lots of fun, car was awesome except for the flare, my old carb may or may not be faster, but it sure seems more consistent, time will tell. Hopefully get this issue resolved, get back out soon.
Trailer tows nicely, guy I bought it from told me to use my weight distribution hitch, just to be safe. I hadn’t thought of it, but when my trailer got stolen the brackets to use were still bolted to it. My trailer guy brought up a pair he had laying around and gave me some nice towing tips I hadn’t considered. Nice doing business with people like that, has a nice 10 second 427 small block Malibu too. Feel confident to head out of state for a couple of events yet this year, knowing trailer pulls good.
No hard copy time slips at this event..a first. Had to use an app. My buddy figured it out, kept me in the loop with everything. Sucks not having slips, hope that doesn’t become a norm at other stuff

VERY MUCH agree with your last statement. No slips? No John! (33 imp)

It’s a PDRA thing. And I must say I was impressed with how they run things.
I think the app is found by going to PDRA 660.com
After my time run I drive by the ET shack and no one was in it… lol
I was like… what the heck

Get an idea of the turnout, fan wise, for this event. Pretty cool to come around the corner to a full house.
If you look you can see me( hand on my leg) with a buddy on my golf cart. We are the furthest cart down the track on the right lane side. Have a black shirt on

GALLERY

Last edited:
Congrats to you on doing so well!! Quite a good accomplishment footbraking against those guys. Some awesome RT's right there!!

-
Back