nitrous information

-
I’d ask in the appropriate engine forum. IE small block or big block engine forums. What questions do you have?

I should have just asked him what the question was. It doesn't look like he posed it anywhere, unless I am missing it. I am curious what it was and if he already has an answer.

@7e5hangten360 did you get it figured out?

Yea spill the beans. What questions do you have?

here you go. i am tempted to add a 150 plate on my 360. my question is about controlling timing. would it be safe to run nitrous without retarding timing? i usually run 32 degrees with a locked distributor and msd 6al box. i also happen to have a crane hi-6 box which has a timing retard feature. waiting for your suggestions.

You should absolutely pull timing with a 150 shot. No ifs ands or buts. Start with 2 degrees per 50 shot on your base tune up. So that would be 6 degrees of retard on 150. That’s a starting point. If you run race gas as the nitrous fuel, or run race gas in the engine all the time, you can get away with a little more timing.

You definitely want to pull timing. 2 degrees per 50 shot is a good place to start as said. Do not spray that big of a shot on pump gas. It will detonate. When running race gas retarding the timing helps it make power as well as saves the motor from detonation. The burn event inside the engine happens faster with the oxidizer (nitrous) in the chamber. So retarding the timing gets the burn into the sweet spot for maximum power. I found that out by mistake when I first started using nitrous. I kept my timing at 36 with a 150 shot on C14 race gas. I then started to tune for max mph at the track and found pulling timing actually increased the mph until I got to 30 degrees and then it started to slow down.

I would advise you to go at least a step colder on the plugs and DO NOT run projected tip plugs. Get non projected tips in a NGK or something and remember with NGK the higher the number the colder the plug. Close gap up to like .030-.032. Knock the timing back 6 or 8 degrees then start adding back until MPH slows down Or you start seeing the timing mark getting past the bend on the strap.

On my iron headed 451 I backed the timing to 30 from 36 for a 150 shot with good results. I think it might have like a little more timing. A split cylinder wall ended that particular experiment.

MSD 8680, dash controlled timing, 15 degrees available, will hook right up to your MSD 6Al

-
Back