nitrous or no nitrous

-

71_dart_swinger

Reaction score
ok guys i have an extra bit of money and lookin to put on some nitrous oxide on my dart. im lookin to get just a bit more umph from it... dont know how much i should go though ive heard i could go 40% of stock power..im thinkin i might be able to get away w/ 100 shot what do u guys think.. my engine is
360 standard bore
cast pistons
torker intake
eddy 750
headers
.509 282 duration cam
360 j heads 1.88 1.60 valves..

its a cast crank its nothin special its and autozoen crate engine lol that i put some stuff on to help it out. i have quite a bit of tranny work and some 3.55s

Ya I was just curious, I figures it would be cast. Anyway a 100 shot shouldn't hurt anything and you'll probably have to be careful with the timing but that cams got me worried. There are some guys that'll hopefully chime in who run nitros a lot that'll probably be able to help more than me. 3.55's are good all round gears but you may want to pump that up to 3.91 but it all depends onhow much highway driving you do.

Terry

what is so worrysom about the cam i know its kinda big but its all i had layin around i dont do to much highway drivin but i live in the central valley cali and there are no mopars around here mopar guys are a rare breed around here so i thinn 100 shot would be ok id have to retard the timing like 5 degress or something

Got a suggestion, fire off a message to dusterb318 and have a talk with him. He's big on nitros small blocks where I'm mostly a BB kind of guy and he should be able to help you.

Terry

Better get a bite or you will lose out on the guys with gears and rubber :salute:

Just a thought :scratch:

If you're gonna spray, make sure that your fuel distribution is up to the task and the ignition also. Or BOOM! Your motor should handle a 100 shot without much problem, but make sure that your fuel pump can handle the load. good luck

don

3.55 is not that bad of a gear if your launching out of the hole on nitrous... but like dusterdon said make sure your fuel pump is up to the task. Also I would go with one range cooler plugs too and shorten the gap a tad. Might also wanna pull some timing...
With all that you should a 100 shot with no problem and can probably go higher as you learn the tricks...
By the way I have a 100 shot on a v6 F150 :D

DusterDon is right, you must have an adequate fuel supply. I can't stress this point enough. Fuel, fuel, fuel! No rust clogged pick up screens, no T's off the stock fuel line, no kinked fuel lines and no stock fuel pump. Your stock 5/16 pick-up may be OK for a 100 shot, but run 3/8" line and use an electric pump pushing forward from the tank. Any vapor lock will destroy your pistons, especially since your running cast pistons as they are very unforgiving. If your going to pull the tank anyway to check for rust problems, swap out the pick-up for a 3/8" style. Run a two port regulator with a port dedicated to the carb and nitrous solonoid respectivley. Set your regulator to no less than 6 1/2 psi. This is where an electric in cab fuel pressure gauge is invaluble. When you hit the nitrous, you should not see a pressure drop of more than 1/4 to 1/2 psi. If you do, shut down immediately and re-think your fuel system. Do you need a bigger pump? Do you have fuel line restrictions? Pick-up clogged? Do you need to run a seperate fuel system for your nitrous kit?etc. etc.

Have you ever cut steel with a torch before? Ever notice how the heat just turns the steel cherry red until you hit the lever and add all that extra oxygen and the steel just vaporizes? Thats what happens when a nitrous system leans out.

OK, that being said, I would go no higher than a 100 shot with Auto Zone cast pistons. It would be nice to know what they gapped the rings at, but that would be impossible at this point without a complete teardown. Keith Black says that their hyperutectic cast pistons can withstand a 150+ shot no problem assuming the rings have been gapped per their nitrous/supercharged specifications and everthing else is correct, but I have no personal experience with them in a nitrous application. It would be nice to have opened up the ring gaps on those pistons to the upper end of the stock spec.

Next, file the sharp corners off the ground strap on your spark plugs so they're nice and rounded. This will keep the corners from getting white hot and promoting detonation. Run 93 octane or higher ONLY. Back your timing off 4 degrees and add one degree of timing at a time not to exceed 2 degrees from your original setting. If your times at the strip are not getting faster, leave the timing backed off. Also, check your plugs after every run. If they look lean, find out why. If they have white speckles on them, you have detonation and may already have engine damage. Those speckles are aluminum. This recomendation is for a 100 shot only. You will need to back off more timing for a bigger shot. If you are running a 4150 series Holley, bump up your priamary and secondary jets two sizes unless you are already running really fat. Way better to run fat than lean when running nitrous. Make sure your cooling system is in good condition. A cool motor will help prevent detonation.

Oh yeah, one more thing.
If you have a rev limiter and your finger is on the button when you hit the limiter, you will blow your intake manifold into the next century! OK, I'm embellishing here. With a 250 shot you will, with a 100 shot the results just won't be pretty. Same goes for if you have leaky intake valves. Don't forget that the bottle must be mounted in one position as the "siphon tube" drops down into the corner of the tank. This side up only!

This post is the result of two giant cups of coffee and three years of running a nitrous car at the strip. Hope I helped. Duster318 runs nitrous very succesfully and should be able to add more to what I've written. Good luck and have fun!

-
Back