nitrous spark plug

-

mikekin

Reaction score
What is the plug that everyone likes the most for nitrous. I have a forged piston 360 with box stock eddys and an airgap intake. I ran a separate full tank with 110 in it and im using 34* of timing. I have the 150 jets in it now. I have 2 step colder ngks in it now. I only made 1 short pass in 2nd through 3rd. no detonation. but im super new to readying plugs. plan to go to a 250 shot but you know baby steps. any info would be helpful thanks. Mike k

eddy heads
236/246 duration 491/510 lift on a 112 lobe seperation
msd box msd wires
comp headers
pro systems 800 cfm carb just for the car
ptc 5000 on the nitrous conver build just for the car.
4.10 gear 275 drag radial

the ngk plugs are 2 steps colder than what? a stock 360 champion n12y? sounds good, take them out and look at em and learn, black is cold and or rich, white and or a melted side electrode is hot/lean. I think a champion n9yc or equivalent and around 31* total timing for the 250 shot

I would back the timing up a LOT until you get the bugs worked out (like 28°). For NGK plugs I would use R5671A-8 for a 150-180 shot nitrous, -9's for your 250 shot. My nitrous motor used those plugs for 8 years, sprayed all the time, no problems....but ALWAYS keep and eye on your plugs. Proper plug reading should warn you if something is going south before you destroy your engine.

Also, using an Air-gap with nitrous, I did the same thing years ago...BUT, keep an eye on ALL of your plugs. I stopped jetting my N2O system up at 180 because I didn't like the difference I was seeing in my plugs from the front of the motor to the back. The distribution was uneven, so I was not comfortable jetting my system up to 250. A simple swap of the intake would have probably cured the distribution problem (going to a single plane like the Victor). Just my 2 cents.

yes I plan to go to a single plane. been looking but have not found what I wanted yet. I pulled all the plugs they all seemed the same front to back. my plate seems to be spraying very evenly. I have a wide band in the car it ran about 10.9 though the short burst. I read monty smith said 12.5 is the recominded area for the wideband. that and reading the plugs of course. I going to use the n9yc this weekend at the track and will have the help of seasoned plug readers.

-
Back