Nitto NT555R Drag Radials

-
Just speaking from experience with a Neon and my Dads Ford....the nittos didint get me any better 60' (2.4) over a sticky street tire and the dry hop was uncontrolable. Slicks cured everything the neon cuts 2.0's all day and the Ford was cutting 1.8's....in a 4500 truck. Between that and how many stories you hear about people 180-ing their car while on drag radials...sometimes with very undesirable results. I say if you are going racing, put the race tires on, if you are on the street, put actual street tires on.

I have Nitto 555R on my Demon, 275/50-15. Much sticker than your standard street radial tire. Like any DOT approved street Drag Radial they are not the best for canyon carving because of flexable sidewall. But as you say, they are less expensive than the MT, and if you don't care so much about "slot car" like cornering, don't drive a lot in the rain, and you do more street driving and only visit the 1/4 mile strip a few times a year they are the better choice...in my opinion.

You said that you ran 12.22 with SLICKS....What have you run with the NITTOS???

Well my car ran 12.22 with a 1.66 60' with slicks a few years ago, the carb was jetted way off and very rich to the point of a slight miss. now with the jetting right and a few other things worked out i would say i would be in the 12 flat to high 11's range, so they should handle that fine, if your looking for the last tenth or two might as well get a extra set of slicks and rims. also these tires hold air very well aired them to 28psi in may and they were still at 28psi in September.

Which M&H tire did you and your buddy use???

have you looked at the M&H racemaster tires? i ran them for a long time on a dodge ram. they hooked well. and lasted a long time. (my buddy has them now and they are still getting used) i purchaed them back in 07

the racemaster drag radial in a 275/60R17 I think. I know it was a 275 and a 17 in wheel. Although size is not all that relivant. They worked great for us. Now even though those tires have been used for a few years, that's is not street duty. But when I owned them I made probably 150-200 passes with them at the track. And I love a good burnout. They probably have 60-70% of their tread life still. My buddy drove on them to the track 3.5 hours from his house made about 6 passes and went home. He does that a few times a year. Probably made the trip 4-5 times with them now. And I have not seen them in a while but I bet they have 50% tread life left or more. Since I gave them to him. They have outlasted the slicks I picked up to replace those awhile ago that's for sure.

Hay dude, have you always gotta be flashin your dang stuff on every single post......or is your mission in life just to make folks jealous? lol

I have run the BFG drag radial on my mid 11 second Swinger and was able to get with a few hundredths of my ET street Bias ply. The problem with the drag radials was if it spins a little it would go up in smoke and there was no recovery, I heard the ET street radial is much better at this. I liked the BFG but it requires different suspension set up to work. Guys run 8s on them 275s, i have seen it personally. Thats just my 2 cents for what its worth. BEP in Orange gets me my Mickey T's for cheaper than anyone around. Give Alan a call and see what price he can get you, it might be real close to what the Nitto cost.

Just curious if you have any pics of them?? What times/60' did you get with them??

Thanks,Mike
the racemaster drag radial in a 275/60R17 I think. I know it was a 275 and a 17 in wheel. Although size is not all that relivant. They worked great for us. Now even though those tires have been used for a few years, that's is not street duty. But when I owned them I made probably 150-200 passes with them at the track. And I love a good burnout. They probably have 60-70% of their tread life still. My buddy drove on them to the track 3.5 hours from his house made about 6 passes and went home. He does that a few times a year. Probably made the trip 4-5 times with them now. And I have not seen them in a while but I bet they have 50% tread life left or more. Since I gave them to him. They have outlasted the slicks I picked up to replace those awhile ago that's for sure.

drag radials.....they dont stick as good as a slick, and most people dont run them on the street.....the worst of both worlds

Say what???.. my m/t drag radials hook so good i sold my slicks..good as in low 1.40 60' from my street car....

So far ive gone 10.93 with a 1.54 60' on M&H 325/50 drag radials with no problems. I may switch to the M&H musclecar DOT tube type next and see how they work.

buy them...try them....if you dont like them, roast em off....but i bet ull like them. :)

I have tried all 3 brands and here are my findings:

In the rain, Nittos hands down.

Longevity, Nittos again.

Dry traction, MT ET Street Radials

Track ONLY, MT ET Street bias plies

BFG Drag Radials - DUMPSTER (Broke loose at the track on the 2-3 shift and went sideways down the track almost hitting the wall)

BFG Drag Radials - DUMPSTER (Broke loose at the track on the 2-3 shift and went sideways down the track almost hitting the wall)

You got that right BFG'S were totally useless on my duster with the 416 in it...

Here is a car with BFGs on it. My mid 11 second car drove on rails with 275s.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rEh09No1E"]YouTube - Shakedown Drag Radial 1st round 200 MPH side-by-side!! Hinzman v Big Daddy[/ame]

-
Back