No backup lights

-

k3522

Reaction score
I replaced the turn signal switch and brake, turns and 4 ways work but now the backups are not working? this may be a unrelated coincidence? wiring diagram does not show they are related. no power getting to the tranny switch. tested tranny switch and it is good. no power coming from bulkhead to tranny switch so the it must be in the white wire under the dash not getting power from the brown with tracer coming from the radio?

Please help. how do i get to the harness. Can i pull the harness down near the sterring column? I do not want to pull the factory radio.

The radio does not work because the prior owner hooked into the brown with tracer for a add on radio so I do not know if where the brown tracer would normally connect to the white at the back of the radio is still connected or the white power wire to the tranny switch is patched in elsewhere because of the add on radio.

no fun.

You said you have a brown wire, is it an automatic? The violet wire should go from the tranny switch to the rev bulbs and the white should be hot to the switch. Underneath the steering column there should be a spot where the wires from the turn signal flashers and all bug in together. Make sure that that connection is good there if you don't have voltage to your white wire. OH, AND CHECK THE GROUND! Sometimes, at least me anyway, overcomplicates things and I often overlook the obvious.

It is fun you mentioned the turn signal switch. I just replaced it. I did not think it tied into the backup lights. I knew it tied into the brake lights. This a 69 Dart automatic and the wire diagram shows a brown with tracer goes to the radio and a white ties in at the radio and goes to the bulkhead to supply power to a violet that goes to the tranny switch. I have no power at the bulkhead.

k3522 said:
It is fun you mentioned the turn signal switch. I just replaced it. I did not think it tied into the backup lights. I knew it tied into the brake lights. This a 69 Dart automatic and the wire diagram shows a brown with tracer goes to the radio and a white ties in at the radio and goes to the bulkhead to supply power to a violet that goes to the tranny switch. I have no power at the bulkhead.
The problem was a bad backup lights harness. Bought a new one from Evans Wiring @ evanswiring.tripod.com
The harness was for a 70-71 E body automatic and the wire colors were not correct but it fit/worked great and was only $25.

-
Back