No cam card

-

Reaction score
I have been trying to collect info on degreeing a cam with no cam card. So far I have read that it prob. will not happen accurately/consistently even if I were to map out the cam.

I have read that I can remove the cam and send it out to be professionally measured but Id rather not do this cause its not the cam I plan to run with in the long run. Only trying at this point to gain the experience with the cam.

I am sure that the cams are stock slant cams, one would be original for the 1983 engine it is in and the other would be a recent replacement for the 1986 engine it resides within.

I have read that the cam may be marked with manufacturer and even possibly a # that I can use to get the cam specs from manufacturer.

Can anyone tell me if these cams are indeed marked in some way with an identifying # and where I might find it?

Thanks

If its marked (probably not) it would be on freeze plug end and would only be a vendor number. I went through this on a 360 cam i had. Google had nothing. Just look up specs on later model hydro slant six cam, cant remember if they differed year to year on the newer stuff. Most smog stuff was altered before a xam grind was changed ie. Timing and carb tuning.

Check for stamps on the front and rear of the cam as well as casting identifiers on the stick. Sometimes it pans out other times still can't find any info.

There are some old threads in the small block section on the procedure to measure the cam with a dial indicator and a degree wheel. Also around on google search. Its simple enuff, just takes some time, measure forwards, measure backwards, and reameasure to comfirm.

Check for stamps on the front and rear of the cam as well as casting identifiers on the stick. Sometimes it pans out other times still can't find any info.

There are some old threads in the small block section on the procedure to measure the cam with a dial indicator and a degree wheel. Also around on google search. Its simple enuff, just takes some time, measure forwards, measure backwards, and reameasure to comfirm.
Thanks for the tips, Dadstruck over on slant.org was kind enough to post his 83 stock cam #s and it gave me what I needed to be able to find the info within my own FSM.

Cams appear to be the same 1983-1986 and #s are as follows.

Intake valve opening ( BTC ) 6
Intake valve closing ( ABC ) 42
Exhaust valve opening ( BTC ) 36
Exhaust valve closing ( ATC ) 12
Valve overlap 18
LSA 105
Intake center 108
Exhaust center 102
Intake & Exhaust valve duration 228

Now I just need to figure out what to do with these numbers.

-
Back