no code

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
How can one determine from the coding what rear end came in this 74 swinger? It came with 318/two barrel/904 trans. I got the book out and my book stops at 1969 and it wasn't helping me anyway. I got blessed with a dart that had no a/c, but I still gotta get rid of all the smog stuff in there. can anyone tell me the best way to take that stuff off and who has replacement pulleys and belts etc.?I already took the trusty sawzall to the big straight muffler by the back bumper. gonna put a kit in there next week, after I decide on headers. I still have a hard time justifying 600+ for headers. I will probably go with the least expensive ceramics I can find, tti's are very cool, but I can't flow that kinda green right now. the 8 3/4 that is in there now is an open 2.70 something, I can tell, 742 case, but it looks older. But any a-body 8 3/4 will bolt right in, so I am grateful for that. Why do some have a crush ring and others don't? I don't really know anything about a rear end assembly. I was looking at trying to put in a sure grip or auburn but I don't know how, the arcane science of the shim, and etc. It is something I want to learn to do.

My head hurts from reading that.....
but if the rear carrier's last three digits are 742, why are you doubting it? BTW, all '74 Swingers either had the 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 rear end unless the previous owner swapped it for the 8 3/4 that's in it now.

H22A4 said:
but if the rear carrier's last three digits are 742, why are you doubting it? BTW, all '74 Swingers either had the 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 rear end unless the previous owner swapped it for the 8 3/4 that's in it now.

Now that's funny...LOL

-
Back