No idle problem

-

swifter

Reaction score
Took my car out of storage finally and brought it home to do regular oil change,Fuel filter change,Normal stuff-Started the car and it won't idle,Runs great off idle.I'm pretty much lost on carbs,It is a 950 holley prepped by Ben at promax,Fuel pressure is good,Floats are moving and fuel is 1/2 in the sight glasses,Checked for vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner on intake and base of carb no increase in rpm,Put hand over carb and engine snuffed out,I am now lost as what to do,Carb and motor have been together for 3 years and each year came out of storage with NO problems,SO could someone help me or point me in the right direction to go-I now have to set it at almost 1300 rpm to stay running-thanks Steve

Check the air bleeds for dirt.

Might need to clean/blow them out

Hey Steve. :wave:

Man, I know it's been a long winter for you guys. Any possibility of fuel denigration over the winter gumming up the idle circuits. I tried to think of a ignition issue causing it, but I can't rationalize it in my mind. Maybe a carb disassembly and a good cleaning???

Good Luck, just wanted to say hi.

air bleeds .I didnt think they were in the idle circuit??? But thats the little I know!!! Tank was drained before start up and fresh 110 is in the tank-steve

I've got the same problem, my 360 beast won't idle, runs fine otherwise. I've tried 2 carbs with the same results.

Must be catching. I am having the same issue with my 383. I can keep her running at about 1200 rpm with my foot on the accelorator, but as soon as I let off she dies.

Check the air bleeds for dirt.

Might need to clean/blow them out

Blow the air bleeds out with gumout spray and all will be well again.

Put the red tube right down on the bleed , you will be able to see it spray out inside the carb when it is clear.

Do you mean the air bleeds in the metering body, or where exactly do I need to blow them out from. I appreciate your patience, I am learning. slowly, but still learning!

OK Guy's did the air bleeds and everything blew straight thru to the bores started car and did the same thing,Then I did a search here and found a thread about the idle mixture screws on the metering body's (4 of them) i screwed them carefully all the way in brought them out 1 and 1/2 turns and BAMMO-I got it!!!!!!! idles like a champ at 800 rpm and looping like a mother I LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve

Do you mean the air bleeds in the metering body, or where exactly do I need to blow them out from. I appreciate your patience, I am learning. slowly, but still learning!

You spray them down thru the throat and it goes right down in carb and you will see a spray further down the throat. Takes less than a minute and make the car run a lot better.

Make sure the air cleaner base has a gasket to keep it from sucking in dirt and clogging them again

OK Guy's did the air bleeds and everything blew straight thru to the bores started car and did the same thing,Then I did a search here and found a thread about the idle mixture screws on the metering body's (4 of them) i screwed them carefully all the way in brought them out 1 and 1/2 turns and BAMMO-I got it!!!!!!! idles like a champ at 800 rpm and looping like a mother I LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve

When you screwed them all the way in it leaned the carb and sucked the dirt out of what ever was clogged

Try soaking the carb with Barryman's B-12 carb cleaner. It smells strong so use in well ventilated area. You can get Barrymans at Auto Zone. It works great to clean out the black carbon deposits on carburetors. Then maybe blow it off with compressed air to clean out the air bleeds....

Thanks Crazy and GEO-Helps A lot of guy's here that are FINALLY getting our cars out again !!!!!!! Steve

so Krazy-spray on and let sit for a while??? Great article on the winged car you have,Great car,Family and friends =Memories !!!!!!! Steve

-
Back