No oil pressure with remote filters

-

shittyslant6

Reaction score
I just installed a dual remote filter setup on my 318la.

20230603_135747.jpg

20230602_211403.jpg

I filled both filters full; primed the lines; cranked it for a good minute (on and off) and still nothing. I even tried bleeding the filters and lines. I have oil being pumped to the filters. still nothing. even took the mechanical gauge line off to bleed it from there maybe and after cranking for 15 to 20 seconds nothing.
the filters are a 51515R wix

Are you 100% SURE you don't have the lines attached backwards? ....and that's a LOT of oil filter real estate. May take a while to fill them up. Have you checked oil AT the filters?

Are you 100% SURE you don't have the lines attached backwards? ....and that's a LOT of oil filter real estate. May take a while to fill them up. Have you checked oil AT the filters?
I will flip the lines around but I'm 99 percent sure they're correct. and when I loosen the filters oil just spills everywhere.

I will flip the lines around but I'm 99 percent sure they're correct. and when I loosen the filters oil just spills everywhere.
If that unit has a check valve in it somewhere........is what I am thinkin.

hated getting oil on my headers. also, wanted to learn making an lines and since I got the filter setup for 10 bucks I figures why not
Damn right! You learned something and made something cool. Good job!

only leaks a little but I'm pretty sure I just need to add a little more Teflon paste and retighten
I cannot stand that paste or liquid teflon. I use either RTV or teflon tape.

I cannot stand that paste or liquid teflon. I use either RTV or teflon tape.
it is pretty annoying to spread but I had to take the top fittings off three times and that paste was still good. I'm not going to use it on everything but I'd say it's about equal with the tape. haven't tried rtv on fittings yet.
I'll have to try that

Dual filters along with 3/4" hose is a good way to add more oil to the system, which could use more oil. The above, with filters mounted behind the h/light adds about 0.75L, nearly one US Qt.

it is pretty annoying to spread but I had to take the top fittings off three times and that paste was still good. I'm not going to use it on everything but I'd say it's about equal with the tape. haven't tried rtv on fittings yet.
I'll have to try that
It's not good for high heat. I've seen it harden and flake off.......even in non heat applications. It's just personal preference, I don't like the stuff. lol

Dual filters along with 3/4" hose is a good way to add more oil to the system, which could use more oil. The above, with filters mounted behind the h/light adds about 0.75L, nearly one US Qt.
Yup. More oil, more cooling.

Oh yeah; the housing is too hot to touch after running but I can grab the lines and hold them while it's running at temp.
I wonder if the steel AN line would do the same
What did you use for lines? Standard hydraulic hose? I kinda like that idea, as they will never see anywhere near burst pressure. The problem with most remote filter kits is, they use the bullshittery steel braided lines that always leak sooner or later and I think you have that problem licked. Just get the pipe threads sealed and I think you're golden.

What did you use for lines? Standard hydraulic hose? I kinda like that idea, as they will never see anywhere near burst pressure. The problem with most remote filter kits is, they use the bullshittery steel braided lines that always leak sooner or later and I think you have that problem licked. Just get the pipe threads sealed and I think you're golden.
I got nylon braided hose because I just don't like how bad normal an lines look after a while. they're super soft and still have a couple strands of aluminum to hold shape but you won't get stabbed cutting them

I'll have to try that
I use nothing but this stuff. Properly applied to the threads of any fitting “sparingly” I’ve never had a leak or had any of it come loose, ever. Great for coolant fittings and especially sealing the long water pump bolts. Being applied a few threads up from the end of the fitting none of it globs up on the inner part as it’s threaded in so no worries there.
Used to use Teflon tape on everything, not anymore. If you get the wraps right taking into consideration the tape thickness so as not to overly increase the thread size by using too many wraps and never have to remove the fitting it’s ok but the thread sealant IMO is simply a better method.

809FD192-9D45-4073-B2BB-33BAA2D432A8.jpeg

-
Back