No pedal after bleeding brakes

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
:( I have a 72 dart with factory disc, 4 piston calipers. I swapped that setup with a 73 dart. I bought a new 73 master cylinder and calipers to start fresh. The only thing from the orignal setup is the brake booster and proportion valve. I have went through a lot of brake fluid and still have no pedal. Do I have to install a 73 proportion valve?

Did you bench bleed the master cycliinder before you put it on?

You have to bleed the master cylinder by putting hoses that connect the ports and go back up and into the resivoir so you can pump out the air before you put it on the car.

what dave said if you didn't bleed the master cylinder.

the only thing i do different is i have made the return lines into the master cly. out of brake lines so that they don't flop around and shoot brake fluid all over.

bill

abodybill said:
what dave said if you didn't bleed the master cylinder.

the only thing i do different is i have made the return lines into the master cly. out of brake lines so that they don't flop around and shoot brake fluid all over.

bill

:thumrigh: yep, I did it the same way...

I bled the master cylinder just like Dave said and swapped the proportion valve with the 73 dart that I got the brake setup off of and still no decent pedal. I'm starting to go crazy, I checked the lines for leaks and everything looks good. Would having the front end jacked up have an effect on bleeding?? :cry:

Are the brake boosters the same 72 & 73.
Are these power brakes or manual and is the brake booster the
power assit unit?

By the way moved this topic to Tech Board.

Well I finally got some pedal!! I had the calipers on the wrong sides. The bleeder valve wasn't at the top. :drunken: But there is still a small problem. I bled the brakes and the pedal was hard. I started the engine and went for a little ride, at the stop sign the pedal went down about half way. The master cyl is a remanufactured for a 73 dart, the booster I'm using is for a 72. Should I put on a master cyl for a 72 to match the booster. :?

I would say put a 73 booster on it. Or you could run manual brakes, the master cylinder is about $25 without the core Charge. Just bought one for my car.

-
Back