No power at all, help with wiring please

-
So I connected them together and I had cabin power. I had headlights tai lights and windshield wipers. When I try and start it it clunks once and I lose the cabin power I had

image.jpeg
By the way My fuse box upon inspection is not complete lol I'm missing the last fuse being hooked up as seen in pic plus on other side the fuse is missing bottom metal clip

View attachment 1714959957 By the way My fuse box upon inspection is not complete lol I'm missing the last fuse being hooked up as seen in pic plus on other side the fuse is missing bottom metal clip
Although I no longer have that fuse box, it seems to be correct.
I removed and replaced my fuse box and bulkhead connectors with my own design. Works so much better and easier to gain access to.
The picture is the firewall connector replacement and I got a new fuse box , attached it to the lower kick panel and mounted it on a hinge so I can work on it easier and then push it flat against the kick panel when I am done.

Firewall connector.jpg

So I connected them together and I had cabin power. I had headlights tai lights and windshield wipers. When I try and start it it clunks once and I lose the cabin power I had

Keep them connected together and try jumping the starter relay with the ignition on and see if it will fire up...

Keep them connected together and try jumping the starter relay with the ignition on and see if it will fire up...
I tried it and same thing happens as when I'm starting it with the key...I have power in cabin like my headlights are on...I try jumping starter relay and it clunks once and I lose the power (headlights turn off)

I tried it and same thing happens as when I'm starting it with the key...I have power in cabin like my headlights are on...I try jumping starter relay and it clunks once and I lose the power (headlights turn off)

What happens when it clunks and you loose power?
Stays off and never came back?
Seems to come back on randomly by itself?
Is there anything you do to make it come back on?

What you are describing sounds like a loose batty cable, or along those lines. (crappy connection)

I wiggled and tightened the 2 on the main stud of relay and also waited some time. Dunno if it was the waiting or tightening

I wiggled and tightened the 2 on the main stud of relay and also waited some time. Dunno if it was the waiting or tightening

Sounds like you might want to start with the batter terminals and follow the power path cleaning connections.
Engine grounded to the body and body to the battery is pretty important also.

If it was a bad starter or relay the power wouldn't go off, as the car just wouldn't start.
Total intermittent loss of power is almost always a bad connection.

I'm gonna start off with replacing the positive and negative terminals. The negative is grounded to the block currently. Is that ok? If not where on the body should I ground it?
I really appreciate all the help, I've never undertaken anything of this size. Before this I've only done small part swaps and performance bolt ons when I used to have a Camaro

The negative battery calbe usually goes from the neg terminal of the battery to the front of the left head. It may also have another wire coming off that you ground to the radiator support. (I usually use 10 gauge wire for this.)

Also make another 10 ga ground wire from the back of the intake on pass side to the firewall...

That should do it...

When the power goes out, where is it going out? Trace it back to the battery to see where it's not conducting...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
In the top pic is that the wire that should also go to the negative on battery? And the second pic is where it's currently grounded. Ya the guy i bought it from used red wire for negative...i will change that obviously lol .
I used my light meter and I wouldn't have power in the red wire at all. I tested it right after the starter relay.

image.png
This is on back of motor to firewall...is this a good spot to put a 10g wire to ground to the firewall? There is a shoe string like wire there now

What happens when it clunks and you loose power?
Stays off and never came back?
Seems to come back on randomly by itself?
Is there anything you do to make it come back on?

What you are describing sounds like a loose batty cable, or along those lines. (crappy connection)

Measure the voltage on your battery. Then turn on the lights. What happened to the voltage? Did it drop a volt or so, or did it drop down over 3 volts or lower? You can not measure a battery correctly with a common volt meter. If each and every cell in the battery is open you will still read 12 volts. The reading will only be accurate with a load on the battery. Although the lights are not a huge load, it is still enough to give you an indication if the batt is good or not

Measure the voltage on your battery. Then turn on the lights. What happened to the voltage? Did it drop a volt or so, or did it drop down over 3 volts or lower? You can not measure a battery correctly with a common volt meter. If each and every cell in the battery is open you will still read 12 volts. The reading will only be accurate with a load on the battery. Although the lights are not a huge load, it is still enough to give you an indication if the batt is good or not

Ah, good point.
Power might be coming back just because the battery came back up a little.
I don't know why it is I assume people have a good battery when doing this stuff.

I got it figured out. I replaced negative terminal and cable with a ground wire going to radiator support and new positive terminal. I used my battery from my Pilot and I got her started up! The other battery i put in my Pilot and it works fine. Thanks again for everything guys

One other question is how do I turn my emergency flashers off? they are on and my interior is all out or missing so I have no idea how to turn em off. And ive never been in an other dart to know lol

One other question is how do I turn my emergency flashers off? they are on and my interior is all out or missing so I have no idea how to turn em off. And ive never been in an other dart to know lol

The hazard switch should be right above the headlight switch on a 70 Dart... Try disconnecting the wiring connector from it...

-
Back