no power to key..........

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
I'm working on a 76 Duster and can't get any power to the key. When I leave the key in the on position for 5 minutes or so the ballast gets real hot and so do the wires next to it. I can make the starter spin by jumping it right at the starter but it won't spin if I jump it on the starter relay on the fender. There is power TO the relay. Any advice?? Also, which side of the coil does the "HOT" wire go? Also, do one of the small wires that come from the starter relay on the fender go straight to the starter? The big one comes from the battery and then there are two plastic plug-ins but the fourth one that is held by sliding it in behind the little screw,,,where does that one go? I have a loose wire that's the same color as the one on the relay but don't know where it goes.

"I'm working on a 76 Duster and can't get any power to the key" - not sure what you're asking here.

It sounds like everything near the ignition switch is dead. Check your firewall connections and your main fuseable link going into the firewall.

Your starter has one really big fat red wire and a smaller wire going to it from the starter relay. Basically it's one small relay controlling a much larger relay (starter). If you have power at the starter relay you may be missing the ground to complete the circuit for the pick coil. I'll assume you have an automatic trans in which case you need to check the neutral safety switch circuit which is essentially the ground for the relay coil. You can jump it to ground to find out.

The hot side of the coil is "+". The "-" side goes to the distributor.

I'm having the same problem with my '73. Was working and then one day, nothing....it wouldn't start with the key...only by crossing the relay. I'm tired of dealing with the electrical demons so I'm replacing all my wiring in the whole car and the ignition also.

When key is in the run position,does the system come on{gauges,idiot lights,wipers,heater,etc.} ??? When key is in the crank position,does the yellow wire on the starter relay get hot ?? If the answer is yes to both of these,you have power at the key.If the answer is no at either one of these,you most likely have a wiring issue,possible neutral safety switch and or the wiring to it.This is from my experience :roll:

Go to www.MyMopar.com and search in the tools and references section and go to electrical. They show a `76 Valiant and Aspen, which can't be far off from your Duster, check the circut wiring, and trace. Take it wire-by-wire and it's not nearly the spaghetti nightmare people think it is....

But yes, I'd start at the fuseable link, which *should be* near the starter relay under the hood, or near the bulk head connector.

Good luck!

-
Back