no power

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
I finally got the car out to the end of the street and back. No power at all. 50 p.s.i. oil pressure at idle. almost 14 lb.s vacumn at idle. I am not sure if it is in the timing or carb. any ideas?? I set the timing at 35 total at 2200 r.p.m. It is a direct connection dist. with no advance. It has worked good in my other car. I am starting to think that I didn't get cam lined up right. I hate to think that.. It feels like timing, but not sure. It's a new orange E.C.U. Anybody ever have problems with them? Is my vacumn to low for a 71 318 with a 256/262 vodoo cam? It currently has a T-quad carb 800 c.f.m. It doesn't act right either. I have a 750 A.V.S I might try that runs good to try and rule the carb out.

I would set the timing for initial first, see how it does, then you can set it for total, I had to do the same with my car, when I set the total first, I had to almost floor it to get in the garage, and it's almost a flat run into my garage. the vacuum is good, not sure of the cam in mine, but I know it has a bunch of over lap, and a nasty idle, and I only have 10 on the vacuum gauge.

The fact that you have an 800 cfm carb, on what sounds like a mild 318, seems a bit too much to me. Just my opinion though, doesn't mean a thing. Can you tell us more about the engine, or did you just add the cam?

It's a low mileage 71 318, original compression around 10. to 1. cast 4 barrel intake, 800 c.f.m. t-quad, 340 exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2 " exhaust with H pipe. Windage tray, original 318 heads,new double roller timing chain,and the cam on previous page. nothing much, lift is advertised at 454/475 duration @ 50 is 213/220.

-
Back