No spark?

-
I tried disconnecting the tach and speedo again and the coil is getting very hot just with the key on.

Ok 4.2 to the + side of the coil and 1.5 to the - side of the coil with the ignition on. I can't get an accurate while cranking because the kid had the starter relay on push button to jump it and I haven't got that far yet with this car. Should there be power on both sides like that?

Ok 4.2 to the + side of the coil and 1.5 to the - side of the coil with the ignition on. I can't get an accurate while cranking because the kid had the starter relay on push button to jump it and I haven't got that far yet with this car. Should there be power on both sides like that?

Yes there could be voltage on both sides of the coil sometimes. How much voltage on the + side of the coil while cranking it? It should be close to battery cranking voltage.
Do you happen to have access to another electronic distributor? It could be from either a small block or big block as it doesn't matter, you just need it for a test unit to turn by hand is all. If so unplug the dist. in the engine and plug in the test dist., turn it by hand with the key on and see if you are getting spark.

Ok I checked out the wiring again and seen he had the brown wire off the ballast going to the + side of the coil and to the voltage regulator. Doesn't that then bypass the ballast? Anyway I took the brown straight from the ballast to the + side of the new coil and it fired up again. I think the way he has it wired to the charging system is the problem. After I got it to fire again I checked the volt gauge it was way up and smoke was rolling from the dash. Like I said in an older post he had a 4 pin box with a 4 pin ballast. I now have the 5 pin box but nothing seems right. Everytime I eliminate the charging system it seems to fire up. Any pictures of were the field connections go? The smoke in the dash and the high gauge have me wondering if that's not the problem and not the ignition system. Like I said it works when I run it without the charging system. Thanks again.

-
Back