no spark

-

340 8BBL

Reaction score
i have no spark when cranking,and no power to the coil.but if i leave the key in the on position i have power to the coil and my accessories and can start the car by shorting across the solenoid,and it will run fine.i put a voltage tester on my ignition+ wire and have 12 volt with the key in the on position,but if i turn to the start position and engage the starter i have no power to my ignition or accessories until the key is released and returns to the on position.please help. the only thing i can think of is the ignition switch is bad.

It does not have to be the ignition switch, but is a good place to start. Just follow the Ignition 2 leads till you get no voltage if the switch checks out okay. It can be just a loose wire connection, a broken wire, or a corroded connection.

im running msd 6a,but i dont suspect anything wrong with it.just for the hell of it i got out my dual point and ran a few jumper wires.still had the same issue,no power when cranking .if i run directly to the battery it will start.and like i siad i do have power to my ignition when the key is in the on position.

I had the same problem when i hooked my MSD. Steve (redfastback) helped me troubleshoot this. Check to see if your run and start wires from the bulkhead are connected together giving you power to your MSD in both start and run position on the key switch.

its not getting power while cranking,i by passed the whole msd and tried a points dist with the same result.the factory wire that would have run to the ballist resistor has power in the on position but none while cranking.i think im going to pull some hair out.

sounds like the switch or the wire for the crank side. just test at the switch for power when cranking. I think the factory is a blue wire at the switch for the crank side.

I had the same problem with my 67 valiant, I changed the switch on the fender and for good measure pulled the plug off the key switch and cleaned it out with elec terminal cleaner=fixed

But, When a no spark happens on my cars the 1st thing I always do is bypass the ballast in order to find out if it's shot or not, wire form batt to coil or coil side of ballast.

Hope this helps
Justin

I had the same problem with my 67 valiant, I changed the switch on the fender and for good measure pulled the plug off the key switch and cleaned it out with elec terminal cleaner=fixed

But, When a no spark happens on my cars the 1st thing I always do is bypass the ballast in order to find out if it's shot or not, wire form batt to coil or coil side of ballast.

Hope this helps
Justin
the ballast checks out ok.when you mention the switch on the fender i assume you mean the starter relay,can this being bad cause no power to the coil/ignition?.also on the key switch ,to remove it i have to take the column apart,i took it apart once before .i cant remeber if i have to seperate the steering shaft from the gear box or if there is an easier way i dont know about(70 dart).

-
Back