No spark

-

Herr Otto

Reaction score
Hello, I have a slant 6 (1965 Coronet) engine in my newly purchased 1949 Dodge truck. The previous owner bypassed the 6 volt system and is using 12 volts just to get the engine running. I was told the engine ran with the way he wired it, as it is very basic. A toggle switch to turn the ignition on, a ballast resistor in line with the toggle and a push button to engage the starter. My problem is I have no spark. I get battery voltage to both sides of the resistor and to the positive side of the coil but no spark when the starter turns the engine over. All ignition parts appear brand new but I still replaced the coil, high tension wire and the condenser. I even brought back the new coil to have it tested and it checked out ok with the resistance test on both the primary and secondary side. The points are opening and closing. I know this is a very basic problem, but for the life of me I can not figure out why no spark. Any advise is appreciated.
Thank you,
Otto

I would pull the wire from the coil to the dist. place it close to a ground (motor but dont touch the motor) and turn the motor over. If it sparks you have fire to the coil and should be good. If you have spark then pull a plug wire and do the same. When this happened to me I was getting fire to the coil and not the plugs. My points had closed.
If the PO bypassed the 6 volt system just means the battery dont go to the lights. If your alt is 12 volts you should have the power need if I am correct there.
But this is just my .02 worth. Hope it helps.

Pretty sure it's the coil. I once got a bad one right out of the box. Pulled a lot of hair on that one! LOL Mike

-
Back