No Stall?

-

70net440

Reaction score
My son's Dart has a rebuilt stock 727. It was rebuilt about a year and a half ago. The motor was rebuilt last fall. With the new motor we noticed the stall rpm was much lower. Now the car will not idle in gear at all. When the car is ice cold it will idle in gear for a few seconds. When it is warmed up putting it in gear stops the motor instantly. The fluid is bright red, doesn't smell bad, and is at the proper level. Could something have happend to the convertor while it was out of the car while the engine was being rebuilt? I drained all the fluid out of it and covered the hub while it was out. Thanks in advance for any replies.

What was done to the engine when it was rebuilt? If a cam with more duration and lift was installed it may need a higher stall converter. I have seen stock converters behind hotter than stock motors do exactly what you are describing.

The motor was basiclly overhauled. The only parts changes were a Mopar cam, .450/.455 lift 268/272 duration. The LD 340 intake was swapped for a edelbrock performer, and the stock electronic dist. was replaced with an FBO stage 2 electronic package. When we first got the new motor running I thought the same thing about the tourque vs. stall. But, now the car is undrivable. What is a good convertor for this combo? The car will be a daily driver with some trips to the strip. The car has a 525 road demon and 3.23 gears. Thanks again.

A good converter for this package would be in the 2200-2400 range. Unless there is another problem with ignition or carburation then this should cure the problem. Does the problem exist only when you put in gear at idle? And then run fine once you get moving? If it does then the converter is a good place to look.
Can I ask you why you switched from an LD 340 manifold to a performer manifold? The LD is a good performing intake.

Well, we put a B&M 2000 stall converter in the Dart and it now has the front pump bushing welded to the converter hub. I'm sending it back to them hopefully for a refund. What brands of converter is everyone using out there? Thanks for any replies.

I use Turbo Action and have also used Dynamic. Bolth are great as is ATI and PTC. You might also want to email Chris at ART, he can set you up with a good converter.

Also if you still have the LD340 intake swap it back on. Its a much better intake. If your using 340/360 heads the Performer has small 318 ports so your loosing flow big time.

Back to why it won't idle in gear... do you have a vacuum leak? Even a small one would what you're describing. Typically when they won't idle in gear it's because the carb is lean. I can tell you from experience that a 284/.484 cam in a 318 will idle just fine with a stock 904, but it has to be free of vacuum leaks and be jetted correctly to work...

Yes, I checked checked for vacum leaks, fuel starvation, timing, float level, etc. My tranny guy said they recommend a higher stall converter for any cam over .270 duration.

-
Back