No start on low-compression 440 after sitting on hot day

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I hope you guys don't mind if I ask you about a 440 that's not in an A-body. The low-compression 440 that I have in my '78 D-300 dually is original, never rebuilt, but it starts and runs well, hot or cold, EXCEPT when trying to start the truck after it has been sitting in the sun on a hot day. Then it tries to start but dies and won't fire. It starts right up if I squirt a little starting fluid into the ThermoQuad, though. And it starts fine when hot after it has been running (fuel line is completely insulated), so I don't think it's a vapor-lock problem. Sure would appreciate any suggestions besides, "carry a can of starting fluid".
I have the choke set pretty lean because otherwise it likes to load up and die when starting cold. I wonder if the choke just leans it out too much when hot, maybe? I'm stumped.
Thanks.

Before you start it, look down the carb and cycle the linkage and see if gas squirts or not... Could the carb bowl be draining and low????

Thanks, krazy! Yes, that was the problem, together with a weak battery that would start to die before the fuel bowl filled.

-
Back